USSSA Pitching Rule Change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Just passing along what I was told. Didn’t realize it was going to turn in to an umpire bashing. Been umpiring for almost 30 years at all levels. Want to hear about coaches that don’t know rules and try to make them up as they go? Or some of the other stupid things I have seen or heard through the year from coaches?
It has to do with the enforcement by an official that people are pushing back against. Wouldn't matter what enforcement needs to be administered.

Mar 10, 2020
There is plenty of stupid to go around.

I prefer less interpretation myself.

Do you want the state trooper on the interstate to be able to make up whatever rules she wants?
Do you not want the state trooper to do their job.
This assumption that officials don't know how to do their job is becoming more prevalent. Agree there is plenty of stupid to go around.

Dec 11, 2010
Yes, I want the trooper to do his/her job.

This is an over simplification, but having clear cut rules and knowing those rules is pretty critical to do the job correctly in the field. That is what I was getting at.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is an over simplification, but having clear cut rules and knowing those rules is pretty critical to do the job correctly in the field. That is what I was getting at.
Like that, and still...
That is one of those easy to say hard to do things.

LOL and for whatever reason the way the rulebook tends to get worded always seems to have some little interesting twist in the verbiage.
' as if it's on purpose' 😇😋🤫

Pardon my relentless commenting of my perspective to allow the Umpire to do their job.
Really do think that interpretation is the biggest Gap between having issue with a call on the field and the rulebook. I am okay allowing the umpire to do their job to the best of their ability.

Dec 11, 2010
Rad, if an umpire doesn’t know the rule book and doesn’t know how to apply those rules, he isn’t “doing his job”.

I don’t think that is an unfair expectation.

I appreciate your emphasis on not complaining about umpiring. I also think you are over doing it. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE deserves some level of scrutiny.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I agree they should know the rules, and enforcement needs to be in place, But there are so many factors that are the cause of this. Coaches and parents are a major one. Shortage of officials are another one. Lack of training is a huge one. There is only one sanction that has a National umpire training program in place, and as much as everyone dislike it, that is we’re the majority of your higher level umpires are trained. USSSA has no National training in place except to teach their tournament director how to make money. USSSA keeps telling everyone they plan to have a training Program in place, but don’t see it happening in the very near future.

if you put a new umpire on the field and he enforces illegal pitches, the coaches and parents will fry him. And then he quits enforcing the rule to make his life easier, then all the parents and coaches get on forums like this one and bash the umpires……vicious circle, isn’t it???

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Rad, if an umpire doesn’t know the rule book and doesn’t know how to apply those rules, he isn’t “doing his job”.

I don’t think that is an unfair expectation.

I appreciate your emphasis on not complaining about umpiring. I also think you are over doing it. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE deserves some level of scrutiny.
Okay over doing it!
On purpose! Appreciate your interpretation 🙂.

I will start by saying there are far more scrutiny moments with umpire is calling balls and Strikes that affect the game way more than one or two out calls that are being disputed.
Btw
Never did I say that all umpires are perfect and I certainly didn't make blanket statements that were accusing all umpires of not knowing what they're doing.
( which is out of line imo)

People want to seem to ignore that there is an interpretive part of the rulebook . And to those who only want to say it's the rules it's the rules is why I keep posting 'interpretation.'

Argue all the time
Or
Don't argue at all
Or
Scrutinize only in the moments someone thinks they should be scrutinized LOL is also an interpretation.

For me,
Truly believe that the game is in the players hands!
Far more opportunities throughout the entire game that the players have to make a decision and follow through that impacts winning!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Players and parents need to take @RADcatcher 's advice..coaches can take a bit more initiative..
Will definitely advocate for coaches knowing the rules being able to communicate that to the players in their coaching!

How to play a ball when. Where to stand when.
Where can't stand when.
Etc.

Oh and how to
'sell a tag out'
Lol is that real?

Jun 8, 2016
Will definitely advocate for coaches knowing the rules being able to communicate that to the players in their coaching!

How to play a ball when. Where to stand when.
Where can't stand when.
Etc.

Oh and how to
'sell a tag out'
Lol is that real?
I was talking about who should be voicing displeasure regarding umpire rulings..not on who should know the rules. If an umpire stinks, they stink for both teams. I have yet to see an umpire purposely trying to screw one team like many of the parents seem to think and if they did it would probably because of loudmouth parents..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22