USSSA Pitching Rule Change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I was informed today that USSSA has changed their pitching rule to allow leaping in 2022. This follows the direction that USA Softball went at their last National Convention.
There will be a press release coming out soon to make the official announcement.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Are they adopting WBSC rules(where a replant is permitted as long as it's "continuous") or are they just eliminating the random leap call where the drive foot happens to leave the ground.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Edit: this post is in support of allowing umpires to do their job. Without the need for coaches to be the overseer of them.

... rulings on the field will be applied by the interpretation of each individual umpire.
Regardless of what the rule says in the book.
Which means sometimes nothing will be called. And sometimes a pitcher will be called for it in one game but the same pitcher won't be called for the same thing in another game.

Decide to play softball now pitch it, hit it👍

rather than decide to complain over and 🤮 over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
to every umpire every game.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Great news! Pitchers will be allowed "walk thrus" by 2023. LOL. Rules are good if they can be enforced. Having an ump decide if the pitcher dragged her foot or had the intentions of dragging her foot was a stupid rule from the beginning. Now clean up the start back vs. the rock back. Anything that can do to make it easier on the umpires is a good thing.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How about just let the umps interpretation
( whatever it is) make the call and let it be at that.
😉👍

Because this isn't Calvinball and the rules are there so everybody knows what game is being played.

It's pretty well impossible to play a game when the person in charge of enforcing the rules is making them up as he goes (or, maybe worse, doesn't know what they're supposed to be in the first place).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Because this isn't Calvinball and the rules are there so everybody knows what game is being played.

It's pretty well impossible to play a game when the person in charge of enforcing the rules is making them up as he goes (or, maybe worse, doesn't know what they're supposed to be in the first place).
Be the coach you want to be🙂@CoachJD...
?Not quite sure the direction you're going there trying to say umpires don't know what they're doing.🤔

... just try not to eat the clock. Lol

I'll keep my opinion and perspective the way it is!
😎

Last edited:

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Just passing along what I was told. Didn’t realize it was going to turn in to an umpire bashing. Been umpiring for almost 30 years at all levels. Want to hear about coaches that don’t know rules and try to make them up as they go? Or some of the other stupid things I have seen or heard through the year from coaches?

Dec 11, 2010
There is plenty of stupid to go around.

I prefer less interpretation myself.

Do you want the state trooper on the interstate to be able to make up whatever rules she wants?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28