Usssa age group.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
Hello,
coach just sent us a message saying the team is moving up to 10u for next season due to usssa age chart most of our girls are late babies, so they will be 8 and playing 10u.
Aug. 1, 2019 - July 31, 2020.
I thought it was till December 31,19
This is only for usssa or applies for all the other also

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Most teams moving up in age group start playing the higher age group in the Fall.

May 29, 2015
Never had to deal with age calculations, but:

May be a handy tool: https://usssa.com/fastpitch/ageCalculator

It looks like the U-Trip rule is kind of strange. It is the player’s age on December 31st of the previous season (not year).

From the USSSA rulebook:
A player’s age on December 31, of the previous sanction year determines the age classification in which the player is eligible to participate. Any player 17, or who reaches their 17th birthday, or who graduates from High School in the calendar year of the current World Series, shall be eligible to participate in the Adult Open World Series Tournament.

The Fastpitch season and Team registration will run from August 1 Until July 31. Tournaments and leagues played after August 1, will qualify teams for the following summer’s State and World Series Tournaments. All teams playing between August 1 and December 31 must play by the following year’s eligibility classifications.

Apr 20, 2015
Hello,
coach just sent us a message saying the team is moving up to 10u for next season due to usssa age chart most of our girls are late babies, so they will be 8 and playing 10u.
Aug. 1, 2019 - July 31, 2020.
I thought it was till December 31,19
This is only for usssa or applies for all the other also
2010 will be the birth year for 10u for your next season. Most teams move up in the fall as others stated, but you will always run across that one. Don't worry about it. Your girls will be better for it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I came from the world of Little League baseball, where age cut off was August 31. If you turned 8 before 8/31, you played as league-age 8. If you turned 8 after 8/31, you played league-age 7.

My daugther just played her first season of softball this past sprin (after four in baseball), and the entire time I thought she was league-age 8. I didn't find out until the team party that she was really playing as a 7 y/o. So the whole season I was comparing her to girls a year older.

My question: what's the logic for the way to handle ages? Basically, the older 2nd graders (going in to 3rd now) will be moving up to 10U, and she'll be in 8U another year. It just seems weird for when it comes to high school play. I may perhaps make the most sense in the world, I just don't get it yet.

Jun 12, 2015
Where we are there are (or used to be, anyway) a couple of the lower level sanctions that didn't make you age up til Jan 1. Everyone moves up in the fall though. My DD has a late bday so she's always been one of the younger kids on her team. It's been fine though.

Apr 1, 2017
My question: what's the logic for the way to handle ages? Basically, the older 2nd graders (going in to 3rd now) will be moving up to 10U, and she'll be in 8U another year. It just seems weird for when it comes to high school play. I may perhaps make the most sense in the world, I just don't get it yet.

I don't know if it was done to make things easier to explain? You have '05 birthday, you are 14U, etc.

I agree, that to me it would make more sense to use a date that follows more of a school calendar, especially when the official season runs Aug. 1st to July 31st. In my short time of doing TB, many of the B and C teams we play seem to have rosters primarily made up of girls from a single town, so they probably know each other through school, etc. You have girls that have known each other since they were 5, and played school sports and rec league softball together, but because they have November birthdays and February birthdays, they can't be on the same TB team.

May 6, 2015
someone is always goin g to get caught based on their birthday. different schools use different cuts, and in international game, some use widely different cuts for schools. IIWII. a 2006 team right now is 12u, must play 14u as od Jan 1 2020, and most will play 14u in fall 2019 since fall is considerd more of a prep season (ie get used to new competition, distance, see where you stack up before scheduling spring).

Feb 1, 2019
I don't know if it was done to make things easier to explain? You have '05 birthday, you are 14U, etc.

I agree, that to me it would make more sense to use a date that follows more of a school calendar, especially when the official season runs Aug. 1st to July 31st. In my short time of doing TB, many of the B and C teams we play seem to have rosters primarily made up of girls from a single town, so they probably know each other through school, etc. You have girls that have known each other since they were 5, and played school sports and rec league softball together, but because they have November birthdays and February birthdays, they can't be on the same TB team.
Dixie softball, a rec association based out of the southeast decided to do away with the January 1st cut offs in favor of august 1st to follow the school year. And while most of the issues I have with it are specific to their rules and style of play, it's an absolute disaster.

There is such a drastic difference in kids year to year between the ages of 4 and 8. Even a 6 month age gap shows a noticeable difference in ability and skill level. Pushing the age cut off forward has 8 year olds playing with 10 year olds instead of 9 year olds playing with 11 year olds which is a much bigger difference than it seems.

Also, theres a smaller window for the older kids, September to December, so now we're seeing "advanced" players (which are really just older) being forced to play down for younger kids.

For example I had a kid on my 8u team who I had to ask to stop throwing the ball so hard cause she was hurting the 6 year olds.

Apr 1, 2017
Dixie softball, a rec association based out of the southeast decided to do away with the January 1st cut offs in favor of august 1st to follow the school year. And while most of the issues I have with it are specific to their rules and style of play, it's an absolute disaster.

There is such a drastic difference in kids year to year between the ages of 4 and 8. Even a 6 month age gap shows a noticeable difference in ability and skill level. Pushing the age cut off forward has 8 year olds playing with 10 year olds instead of 9 year olds playing with 11 year olds which is a much bigger difference than it seems.

Also, theres a smaller window for the older kids, September to December, so now we're seeing "advanced" players (which are really just older) being forced to play down for younger kids.

For example I had a kid on my 8u team who I had to ask to stop throwing the ball so hard cause she was hurting the 6 year olds.

But you have those same gaps regardless of what the date is. Whether the cutoff is Jan 1, April 1, Aug 1., you could have a 2 year gap between the oldest and youngest. Add in how fast/slow kids can mature, it will always be that way.

I would just prefer that girls in the same grade be able to stick together. One example is my daughters first year of TB, 8 of the girls were from 6th grade of the same middle school, but they were 4 '04 and 4 '05. So second year, half aged out. I understand that's not as important at higher levels where teams might be made up of girls from all over the place.

In the end, I'm not losing sleep over it, just something I wonder about.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101