Using string throwing dropball ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Roughly how high and how far away do you have your string set? I’ve typically set the string about 3-4’ in front of the plate at about knee height or slightly higher. Would be interested in trying this approach/drill too. Thanks.
The string in the video is set 12 feet in front of the plate and the height is at waist of the pitcher. So from release to string the ball is traveling up then reaches the string and when done right goes down.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The string in the video is set 12 feet in front of the plate and the height is at waist of the pitcher. So from release to string the ball is traveling up then reaches the string and when done right goes down.

You mentioned that you eventually move it to 9ft from the plate. Why 9ft as a final distance for the string? Only asking out of curiousity and to learn.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Thanks

Two better videos:

Side view:

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/XgJ8puGjhuM"

Here is the back view:

In the back view video, my DD falls off to the left to give a better view of the ball flight. If she were throwing in a game, she would not fall off to the left. If I remember right, she put something around 28RPS on the ball...which is pretty good since she hadn't thrown the drop "in anger" for more than 10 years.

To make a long story short:

The difference between a properly thrown peel drop and a properly throw rollover drop is one of degree. Fundamentally, they are the same pitch.

The goal is to make the internal rotation of the forearm as quick as possible.

I could not tell from the video. Does this make a 2 seam axis of rotation or 4 seam?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I could not tell from the video. Does this make a 2 seam axis of rotation or 4 seam?
Neither.

(From a movement point of view, it doesn't matter if it is 2 seam or 4 seam.)

She lay her middle finger lengthwise on a seam, and then really presses her middle finger into the seam. She uses the middle finger to spin the ball.

Snap your fingers and notice the action of your middle finger. That is her action at release. She says that on really good drop balls, she can hear the "pop" of the middle finger spinning the ball.

Because she is primarily using one finger to spin the ball versus two, she has much better 12-6 spin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802