Using string throwing dropball ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
Thanks

Two better videos:

Side view:

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/XgJ8puGjhuM"

Here is the back view:

In the back view video, my DD falls off to the left to give a better view of the ball flight. If she were throwing in a game, she would not fall off to the left. If I remember right, she put something around 28RPS on the ball...which is pretty good since she hadn't thrown the drop "in anger" for more than 10 years.

To make a long story short:

The difference between a properly thrown peel drop and a properly throw rollover drop is one of degree. Fundamentally, they are the same pitch.

The goal is to make the internal rotation of the forearm as quick as possible.

In the back view it is very interesting that the hand rotates counter clockwise at the same time the ball is rolling off the fingers clockwise from the pitchers view. Its like the two opposing forces balance out and produce 12/6 spin.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is her grip. Note the placement of the middle finger. It goes right along the seam, which allows her to really grip the seam.

If you look at the side video, you'll see the middle finger come off last. This creates really tight 12-6 spin.

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 73

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We put a metal lawn chair about 20 feet from home plate. Then, we laid a bucket on its side behind home plate. The opening of the bucket faced the pitcher. Then, my DD would throw the ball over the lawn chair and into the bucket.

The idea was to have the pitch look like a belt high fastball.

It is hard to do...it is a combination of speed and spin.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I have basic 1" PVC stands that have a Chinese jump rope stretched between the two stands about knee high. I'll set these up approx 3' in front of the plate, and the pitcher must hit the rope!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have basic 1" PVC stands that have a Chinese jump rope stretched between the two stands about knee high. I'll set these up approx 3' in front of the plate, and the pitcher must hit the rope!

Nothing but love Coach...

Try putting an obstacle midway between her and the rope. So, she has to go over the first obstacle and under the second.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
We put a metal lawn chair about 20 feet from home plate. Then, we laid a bucket on its side behind home plate. The opening of the bucket faced the pitcher. Then, my DD would throw the ball over the lawn chair and into the bucket.

The idea was to have the pitch look like a belt high fastball.

It is hard to do...it is a combination of speed and spin.

I love this, external cues and making a game out of it can produce serious gains. Did you lay the metal lawn chair on its side? How tall was it more or less?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
For DD we’ve always setup a string 6ft from the front of the plate at release height. The goal being that the ball does the bulk of its break right as it’s coming over the string. The theory being that the ball looks hittable until it’s not. Has worked for her so far.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Lately I’ve been putting it at knee height, right at the front edge of the plate. Mostly because it helps the pitcher see that a drop will be caught MUCH lower than where most practice for. I see so many bucket parents (and some catchers) catch the ball at knee height, when in reality, it should locate around the feet.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I ordered 10 packs of these and give one to each new student:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28