USA Softball cutoff date for age divisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
For the last few years in our school system, about 20% of age eligible kids have been 'redshirted' for kindergarten

When my DD was a 4th grader in a 3rd/4th grade basketball league, the best player was a 3rd grader. I wondered how that was possible until I found out she was 4 months older than my daughter.

Feb 24, 2022
For the last few years in our school system, about 20% of age eligible kids have been 'redshirted' for kindergarten
I see it with my kids as well - some parents just straight hold them back regardless of their birthday, others hold back any kid who has a birthday after Aug, and then try to make up some arbitrary cutoff date that they missed. My best friend's birthday is in late Nov and he was still in our grade - almost a year younger than those of us born in Jan or Feb. My brother was born in mid October, he was one of the youngest in his grade.

Jun 8, 2016
I see it with my kids as well - some parents just straight hold them back regardless of their birthday, others hold back any kid who has a birthday after Aug, and then try to make up some arbitrary cutoff date that they missed. My best friend's birthday is in late Nov and he was still in our grade - almost a year younger than those of us born in Jan or Feb. My brother was born in mid October, he was one of the youngest in his grade.
Cutoff here is Aug 31. DD’s birthday is Sept 5 so she is good to go for school ball 😂

Apr 1, 2017
My daughters were born in August. If I could do it over, probably would have had them start school a year later. Not because I think it would make them unstoppable in sports, but because they might be in a little better place going to college. They will graduate high school next May as 17 year olds, and turn 18 just before unpacking in their dorms.

Jan 22, 2011
Similar with my daughter. She has a late August birthday. We debated, but the cutoff was 9/1 and she was socially ready for school. I go back and forth about whether we should have held her back since she was less than a week from the cutoff, but I think she'll be alright. I'm a first 10 days of September birthday from back when the cutoff was Dec 1st.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I wonder if this will affect the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Toys for Tots tourneys this year. Some teams would stay down until Jan. 1st and try to pick up some shiny plastic.

Jan 6, 2018
My sister was a November as well and got into school well past the cutoff when we were kids. Things were different back in '79 I guess, because imagine my surprise when my DD w/ a Sept. 8 b-day couldn't get into school no matter what we tried...not even private school! 7 damn days, but the bureaucracy held strong! Oh well - she's driving her friends all over because she got her license 1st and she's a rockstar is school so I guess it turned out for the best!

Aug 5, 2022
The school debate is very different than the redshirt for sports. Kg is much more rigorous that what it was when I attended. A LOT of younger 5s are simply not able to sit still and do worksheets, go without a nap and stay focused all day. We had an hour for lunch and recess and another recess in the morning. We had art and gym and music every day and a nap. Lots of body movements. School just isn’t like that by me anymore. 30min for lunch and recess 15min of which is getting through the line. 10-15 min morning and afternoon stretch break. Gym/art/music/library/ etc you only get one each day for 30min. As someone that works with kids I encourage parents if you have any doubts make them older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28