USA Olympic Selection Trial Invitees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That's true about building the college teams, but somehow that feels different. I just can't figure out if building a team through recruiting requires a different skill set than building a team through a best-of-the-best tryout process.
I am sure it is somewhat different but to me all of those kids are talented (whether it is easier to project how a HS kid will transition to College ball vs College kid transitioning to International play I don't know..) so it is more about how you want your team to look. I do think they do have a bit more power this time around if the College kids they picked up (Pleasants and Hansen in particular) a) transition well to International play and b) play at all...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I wonder if what would help is not having the coaches pick their teams. There's a reason there are very few coaches/managers who also acquire the talent in major professional sports. A great coach or manager is not necessarily a great team builder or talent evaluator.

As a coach who is much better at the talent evaluation aspect than the actual coaching of skills, I see them as very different qualities. Team USA doesn't seem to have too many (or any) good GM types involved.
Hurray for this!
Lets compile at least four different teams to train and then compete against each other for the final national team spots.

There is also another aspect to building a great team and that is the Dynamics of the players on it!
Get along and gel well together. Alike energy!
Would think that any group of players could do this but it just ain't so.

( for some reason I'm going to say that somewhere in the mix not one person who's actually on the field is making these decisions)...
LOL just a hypothetical guess...
LOL but I could be right 😎

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
There is also another aspect to building a great team and that is the Dynamics of the players on it!
Get along and gel well together. Alike energy!

I believe there are very few differences between male and female athletes. I treat my girls the way I'd treat boys for the most part.

Except I completely agree with you on this, and I don't think it's true of boys teams. It's very difficult to get a team of girls to play well together if they don't all mostly get along. I've played on some very good baseball teams and I couldn't stand the guys on the team. Some pretty not-fun environments from that standpoint. But we were good teams and we won games. Good luck getting that result from a team of girls.

This is a generalization, but I think boys create a positive energy by winning. Girls need a positive energy to win (or play well, whatever).

Feb 15, 2017
Not sure why you responded to me..I wasn’t arguing for continuing with the status quo. They should have taken either Alo or Hemphill IMO.
I was in agreement that she was never going to be fast but added a lot of vaule

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
I wonder if what would help is not having the coaches pick their teams. There's a reason there are very few coaches/managers who also acquire the talent in major professional sports. A great coach or manager is not necessarily a great team builder or talent evaluator.

As a coach who is much better at the talent evaluation aspect than the actual coaching of skills, I see them as very different qualities. Team USA doesn't seem to have too many (or any) good GM types involved.
I think part of the issues is the head coaches all come from earning their bones in USA softball. Gasso doesn't have all that time to do so. Funny thing is USA basketball used to do just fine having a coach that didn't spend an inordinate amount of time with USA basketball.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478