Upper half

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
What struck me in this video of Antonelli, is how quiet the upper body is, During the entire sequence of the player in the video. I know younger players generally have a lot of upper body movement. Not really concerned with what he was talking about in the video.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When I was younger I looked at that at length. Watching how much hand movement there was while loading. The hands themselves move very little in many hitters. Doesn’t mean there isn’t loading, just that the hands themselves don’t much much.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I think the load of the upper is what helps the hitter control the stride. The lower wants to advance. The upper provides resistance to the lower advancing. The load of the upper is not some big exaggerated move. The load of the upper is what gets the rear hip loaded. Not the turn of the belly button inward or back butt check the pitcher. Jmo

May 16, 2019
When an athlete does it right, it looks so natural and fluid. Teaching it young athletes it can be awkward and disjointed.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think the load of the upper is what helps the hitter control the stride. The lower wants to advance. The upper provides resistance to the lower advancing. The load of the upper is not some big exaggerated move. The load of the upper is what gets the rear hip loaded. Not the turn of the belly button inward or back butt check the pitcher. Jmo

No, the lowerbody is set first. The turn of bellybutton or any inward turn can be done incorrectly.

Although, you should always have the back activated. You want to be backside dominate so the joints can work correctly. If your frontside dominate, chances are the joints will be compressed.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
This has proven key for my daughter's swing. If she doesn't resist as much as she can on top, she doesn't control stride and everything goes forward. She then pushes her hands, her balance moves from center to over front leg and she's just putting ball in play (rather than driving it).

Oct 2, 2017
No, the lowerbody is set first. The turn of bellybutton or any inward turn can be done incorrectly.

Although, you should always have the back activated. You want to be backside dominate so the joints can work correctly. If your frontside dominate, chances are the joints will be compressed.
The bold I agree

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812