Upcoming NFHS 2022 Rule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
lly
... and I am going to have to eventually tell my story about the baseball game that went awry a few weeks ago as it involves a scorekeeper and a brilliant intentional walk as some of its subplots.

I've been waiting a month for this story....in the words of our president, "Come on, Man!"

May 29, 2015
I'm curious about that, too, because I don't like people telling me how to dress. :)

Have you as an umpire ever even paid any attention to the coach's attire? Has it ever come up in any games you've worked?

You know me ... I'm an ###hole, of course it has! Generally it was related to footwear though, because I felt it could be a safety issue. High heels? No. Rainbow crocs that were so big they looked like clown shoes? No. Flip flops? No. (All under USA Softball.)

I did work a tournament where an umpire threw a coach out for refusing to wear his hat properly at the plate meeting. I'm stodgy and old-school, but I'm not sure I condone that.

My guess is it will mainly be about footwear. I'll have to go look at the rules as written though. I remember some dust-up (on here?) about a coach wearing cowboy boots in a (NFHS) state tournament, but other than that I can't say I have heard of anything else. Wait ... Police officers in uniform is the only other thing I can think of.

EDIT:

1626294513886.png

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You know me ... I'm an ###hole, of course it has! Generally it was related to footwear though, because I felt it could be a safety issue. High heels? No. Rainbow crocs that were so big they looked like clown shoes? No. Flip flops? No. (All under USA Softball.)

I did work a tournament where an umpire threw a coach out for refusing to wear his hat properly at the plate meeting. I'm stodgy and old-school, but I'm not sure I condone that.

My guess is it will mainly be about footwear. I'll have to go look at the rules as written though. I remember some dust-up (on here?) about a coach wearing cowboy boots in a (NFHS) state tournament, but other than that I can't say I have heard of anything else. Wait ... Police officers in uniform is the only other thing I can think of.

EDIT:

View attachment 22995

Some of that is silly. I don't have a "coaching shirt," but I do always wear school colors/softball spirit wear. Often I'll wear a team hoodie because it's always cold. If you're going by the letter of the rule, that's somehow inappropriate. Nobody's ever said anything, thankfully.

May 29, 2015
@CoachJD ... you come onto my field with that stoopid (yes -- TWO "O"s stoopid!) Belichick hoody and we will have issues. ;)

I hope they make you wear the full uniform, like baseball! :giggle:

Nah, they really should tighten up a few things that matter (like footwear) but then make the whole thing a little more relaxed as many teacher-coaches are already rushing to get things settled and ready.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I'm curious about that, too, because I don't like people telling me how to dress. :)

Have you as an umpire ever even paid any attention to the coach's attire? Has it ever come up in any games you've worked?

In Indiana, coaches are not allowed to wear denim pants on the field. I will look the other way if they are black or khaki, but your basic blue jeans I will not allow. More and more games are being streamed, I h
am not giving the powers to be, call me an tell me I didn’t enforce their dress code.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The uniform rules are always touchy for an official (see the ruckus over hair beads this past year). Whether it is for safety or appearance, coaches need to know the rules and need to be told when it is a point of emphasis. They also need to be the ones to be the 'bad guy' and not put anyone on the field who is not in compliance with the rules.

As umpires we always hear, "Let them play", "Let the girls decide the game on the field" "Don't be a rule book lawyer". Well, coach, don't put us in a position where we need to step in and fix something you already know.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Hmmm :unsure:
since batters can be walked without having to actually throw 4-balls. (right thats a thing?)
Just say
Put them on, Take the base.

Lol
Why then does a batter who hits a home run have to go and touch the bases?!
Maybe that should change and save that running time for more other game playing time...

Snarky weisenheimer moment :cool:

Having to touch all the bases after a ball is hit over the fence has to be among the dumbest rules in all of sports. It should be purely ceremonial after that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802