Unusual SPB (Ump Edition)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Not exactly what you have come to expect on here, but I need to drop an SPB ...

My son will umpiring the home opener of our local "minor league" baseball team. I say that in quotes because it is an independent summer wooden bat league ... but I'm proud of him!

May 29, 2015
Long story short … Last week we did a baseball tournament (we usually don’t work together though), and I was laughing my butt off when a little old lady with a walker approached him after the game and proceeded to try to tear him up one side and down the other. He stood there laughing at her as the UIC rodeo clowned her.

It was a championship game where the visiting team blew a 4+ run lead in the 7th inning. Guess which team her grandson was on.

After that, I’m going to enjoy watching the fans as much as watching him work. I want to get a t-shirt that says, “I came to watch the umpires!”

Jan 8, 2019
From Baseballism:
They’ll get the idea.

Jan 8, 2019
How about one that says “Back off, my kid is on the field, too!”
Rec league last year, had a 16 yr old girl learning the trade, and her father, a fairly large and intimidating figure, followed her to the games to watch her call.

One coach made the mistake of arguing with her, and had there not been a backstop between them, it might have escalated quickly! (Although, I expect that Blue’s dad would have ended it even faster!)

Our league actually controls the fan/coach/umpire interactions pretty well, with favor going to the umpires, so it was de-escalated pretty quickly by a board member. (We try to get youth umps into the league to train the future umps, and are very protective of the blues in general, but especially the younglings.)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Not exactly what you have come to expect on here, but I need to drop an SPB ...

My son will umpiring the home opener of our local "minor league" baseball team. I say that in quotes because it is an independent summer wooden bat league ... but I'm proud of him!
Does he cross over to our world of yellow balls and look back rules? It'd be great if he joins here, maybe as TYMIB (The Younger Man in Blue).

May 27, 2022
I have a very small glimmer of hope that I could one day get my 2 DDs to umpire and maybe actually do a game with them. One can always dream...

May 29, 2015
He must be doing alright ... they have him traveling to more cities in the next few weeks! If anybody has a Prospect League team near them ...

Personal brags ... I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll just dump it here.

Over the weekend, I called games where one of the coaches was a MLB World Series MVP and 2-time All-Star.

Last night I called our area high-school All-Star games.

In a couple of weeks I will be calling a "Battle of the Sexes" game with a VERY well known former softball player scheduled to pitch. I doubt I'll draw the plate, but it will be fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802