Umpire Pay and Where to start

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2018
I've seen posts recently here and on social media about shortages. I've considered umpiring as DD may be retiring soon. I found a great post here about gear, Ump Gear, and I've seen posts about per game pay. Seems to be in the 30-50 range per game.

But starting out, how much should one expect to make? Obviously depends on what you do. Around here, what I know about, rec is pretty limited though there are select leagues through the week. Then weekend tournaments, mostly what DD played and I see looking for umpires is USSSA. I know there are other orgs around like USA and NSA. Then there's school ball (Jr and High).

So just curious any opinions on how/where people start out and how many games may expect do on a league night and then at one of these local weekend tournaments to kind of figure out pay. How much "training" will there be before getting to do games.

If there's good posts buried here let me know and I'll check them out. I'll admit I didn't look hard.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
One of the best ways is to talk to an umpire at a game you go to. Not immediately after a game if you can avoid it as they may not stop to talk. But if someone comes up to me and starts with, "Hi, my name is....... I was wondering how I can become an umpire" it sets a whole different tone.

May 29, 2015
giphy.gif

We need more umps! :giggle:

Start out anywhere you can! I am really critical of how we bring in new umpires. We are very quick to point out the shortage, but I don't feel many areas do a good job recruiting, welcoming, and helping new umpires. Some do a great job.

@EdLovrich mentions talking to umpires, and that is probably the best way to make contacts. I would suggest going to a game that your kid is NOT playing in to do it, though. Ask them for contacts of local assignors and organizations!

Training will depend on the organization. In my area in Illinois it looks like this:
  • IHSA (NFHS) -- You are licensed basically as soon as you pay your fee. You are required to attend a clinic and complete a rules test within the first year. After that, the rules test is annual, but you only have to attend a clinic every other year (or every third year, now I forget).
  • USA Softball -- You have to attend their clinic and pay your fee there. The clinic is only offered once in each area, but you can attend another area's clinic to register. Unfortunately, the local organization crams all those clinics in a tight window and does a poor job advertising them. So, basically you only have a few weeks each year to become a USA Softball umpire. I missed the clinics the first few years (work conflicts) so my start was delayed by a few years.
  • USSSA -- just pay your fee online ... maybe you don't even need to do that. USSSA has been trying to get a presence in Illinois, but they lack the organization to make it happen.
In Mississippi, I filled out the MHSAA (NFHS) form online in February or March and have never heard back from anybody. There is a shortage ... but what are we doing about it?

As for pay ... professional advice ... my opinion ... Do NOT do it for the pay, but do NOT put up with inadequate pay when you do it. This is not cheap to get into and your time is valuable.

$30/game is on the low end, but probably appropriate for a small, local rec league.

Tournaments where you are working several games a day will likely be in the $40-$50 range depending on the organization and the time limits on the games. Pay attention to the time limits and the return! Personally, I would rather work shorter games and make a little less, but I'm getting older and not as thrilled by spending all day there.

High school games (in my area) are anywhere from $50 (one JV) to $85 (full varsity and probably a few JV innings).

Aug 25, 2019
I work US SS A tourneys, and I get $55 a game, $60 if by myself( not sure why it's not $82.50, time and a ha lf). I also have to give back 10% per game, so thats $5.50 or $6. As we know there is a shortage of umpires, so at a tourney weekend, you probably can work as many games as you want, they be happy to work you all day if they can. I usually limit my days to 3-4 games. They are usually only hour and 20 minutes so it's not bad. I can also be assigned rec games and they are $55 a game. Best deal for money are school games, middle school is $92.50 a game, jV is $110 a game, and varsity is $128.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Pay in my area:

HS SB and BB: single ~65, DH (most dates) ~130, some schools higher, some schools pay mileage (where I am this can add as much as a third game, but the travel times can be upwards of 2 hours one way)

Legion BB 18U and 16U SB same as HS minus the mileage.

LL BB and SB: LL is all volunteer but they DO pass the hat at most places in this area. So, pay depends on the crowd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802