Umpire Makes Catcher Change Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How about you replace the screw? Replacement screws, and a screw driver should be part of your tournament kit. I use to also carry a couple of spare chin straps as well back when they were required.

Yep. I have a baggie with an assortment of helmet screws and nuts in my backpack. I've needed to dip into that baggie multiple times over the years. Double-sided tape and super glue have also come in handy.

May 29, 2015
I'll go to the extreme ... the coach should have been ejected.

We are not FASHION POLICE. I don't give a bat's handle if one side matches the other or not. Your SAFETY EQUIPMENT ... let me say that again for those that may have missed it ...

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

needs to be properly maintained. It is the responsibility of the coaches, the players, and the parents to do this. It is not the umpire's fault and the umpire is not wrong just because you didn't like it.

DO THIS NOW ... go to your daughter's equipment bag and take out all of her gear.

• Are there any cracks?
  • Does the mask (batter's or catcher's helmets) stay in place when you wiggle it?
  • Are ALL of the screws intact and tightened?
  • Is all of the ORIGINAL padding on the inside intact?
  • Do all the straps securely connect (and stay connected)?
I realize it is easy to take safety equipment for granted, but it is there for a reason. You care about your child, I know you do.

May 29, 2015
Of interest, in NFHS even warm up catchers (on the field or in the bullpen) need to have approved catchers helmets.

To add a little bit of education to this piece (and I suggest using this in your future, @Agcy) ...

A fielder's mask or a batting helmet is NOT acceptable for warming up a pitcher (on or off the field). Neither of these pieces of safety equipment were designed for that use. Neither one provides ANY throat protection, let alone adequate throat protection.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Just to go a bit further on being a stickler foer safety. If a sticker/numbers/paint have been adderd to a catcher's or batter's helmet, it voids the NOCSAE rating unless they came from the manufacturer of the helmet. So, little Suziie with her nickname on the back of the helmet, or the coach who gives a sticker for each HR/good play/RBI (ala THE Ohio State and its football buckeye stickers) Has to change out her helmet for safety reasons.

Oh, and one more reason the second umpire may have made the call in the third game when his partner didn;t in the first two.....perhaos the screw wasn't missing until then. Let's not just assume the first umpire didn't do his job/care about safety.

May 29, 2015
NOCSAE certification relates to pieces of equipment manufactured to the specifications submitted by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with stickers.

A manufacturer may tell you it voids their warranty. (At which point I would never buy another piece of their equipment again.)

The only reason an umpire should say anything about a sticker is because it is covering up the NOCSAE certification mark.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
NOCSAE certification relates to pieces of equipment manufactured to the specifications submitted by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with stickers.

A manufacturer may tell you it voids their warranty.

The only reason an umpire should say anything about a sticker is because it is covering up the NOCSAE certification mark.
Yes, the manuf. states that is voices the NOCSAE cert. And without the NOCSAE cert. the piece of equipment is illegal in sanctions that require NOCSAE certification. The reasoning behind this is that paints or adhesives MIGHT break down the integrity of the shell.

Now, do I think that a sticker or two will make a difference? Nope.

Will little Suzie's parents' lawyer think so if she suffers a concussion? Not going to take that chance and not going to be the umpire on the hook for allowing her to play with a non-NOCSAE certified piece of protective gear when it was required by rule.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have had this happen multiple times. The umpire is correct and should always, "error on the side of caution." Eventually, I learned my lesson and carried spare clips, screws, ... for batting helmets, catcher's gear, ...

May 27, 2022
To add a little bit of education to this piece (and I suggest using this in your future, @Agcy) ...

A fielder's mask or a batting helmet is NOT acceptable for warming up a pitcher (on or off the field). Neither of these pieces of safety equipment were designed for that use. Neither one provides ANY throat protection, let alone adequate throat protection.
That’s why I brought it up. As a fan/scorekeeper, I never talk to umpires during the game. Except the one time our opponent came out with a batters helmet on. I got the umpires attention to tell him that wasn’t legal or safe. He listened to me and told me I was wrong. I caught him and his partner after the game and the partner corrected him. Safety is more important than procedure at that point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812