Umpire Makes Catcher Change Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2022
SIAP but didn't find this scenario in the search.
USSSA tourney, 12U(C). 2 pool play + double elimination bracket.
Played 2 pool games with Umpire A behind the plate, Umpire B in the field. First bracket game in the evening they switched and B was behind the plate. Same catcher wearing the same gear all 3 games.
In the 3rd game around the 2nd or 3rd batter the ump turns to us and says "her helmet is missing a screw, she has to change it." We swap out and HC takes a look. It is a Rawlings helmet which has screws/clips like this:

1658175992726.png

(Other helmets don't have as many clips.)
The right rear clip was present (below the 'GS' on this pic), but the left was missing. The 4 across the top and 2 on the bottom were present.
Our catcher doesn't like the fit of the other helmet and it's affecting her comfort and sight. So between innings our HC removes the left clip so both sides match. Sends her back out with the original helmet.

You know what's coming....umpire nearly immediately says "coach, the screw is still missing, and you removed the other one. She has to change." Our coach argues that the other 6 clips are doing a sufficient job, points out that Umpire A, the one standing in the field, didn't have an issue earlier in the day. Even yanks on the mask to show it's holding.

Umpire doesn't budge and makes her change.

From my read, USSSA rules talk about ear flaps and throat guards, but nothing about the little details of said helmet like these clips. "As a general rule, USSSA continues its longstanding tradition of permitting players to determine the use of protective equipment when they deem it appropriate." (I know that more speaks to wearing or not wearing masks in the field, but seems to me could be extended to a situation like this.)

My question, are we as coaches just stuck having to make our catcher change the gear when an umpire wants to dig in on something like this? Any response we could have made in counter argument that would have allowed her to continue wearing her helmet?

thanks in advance

May 1, 2018
No the umpire is correct. Helmet was designed a certain way and passes needed requirements as designed. You now have a helmet that has been altered from design and is no longer safe to use. Fix your helmet. Simple

May 27, 2022
Per USSSA, NOCSAE is required for catchers. If that is still the case, any modification would void the certification. The Umpire was right.

From USSSA 14th Edition:
Sec 2. CATCHER’S EqUIPmENT In the Youth program, the catcher shall wear a NOCSAE approved head protector (with dual earflaps), an approved mask with throat protector, a body chest protector and shin guards. If a hockey style NOCSAE approved catchers helmet is used, a separate throat protector is not needed​

May 27, 2022
Of interest, in NFHS even warm up catchers (on the field or in the bullpen) need to have approved catchers helmets.

Jun 23, 2022
OK, makes sense here.

Follow-up...clearly it doesn't matter that one umpire cared and the other didn't. But seeing as the other ump was doing that game too, is there any appeal to be as "why does one of you call this and the other doesn't?"

I only ask because my only running gripe about officiating - in any sport I play or view - is inconsistency. It's one thing if in prior games at prior locations a particular rule wasn't followed and now is (which was clearly the case here, she's worn this helmet all season), it's another if the inconsistency is standing 60 feet away.

I know, I'm grasping at straws.....

(appreciate the responses)

May 27, 2022
OK, makes sense here.

Follow-up...clearly it doesn't matter that one umpire cared and the other didn't. But seeing as the other ump was doing that game too, is there any appeal to be as "why does one of you call this and the other doesn't?"

I only ask because my only running gripe about officiating - in any sport I play or view - is inconsistency. It's one thing if in prior games at prior locations a particular rule wasn't followed and now is (which was clearly the case here, she's worn this helmet all season), it's another if the inconsistency is standing 60 feet away.

Maybe one noticed and the other one did not. Maybe one is a stickler for the rules and one is not. Maybe one is trying to be the absolute best and the other isn't. Maybe one has experience with catchers and just knows and the other one doesn't.

I've seen it myself as you could tell by some of my posts. Right or wrong, good or bad really just part of the game. For this part, it is a noted safety issue and should not be compromised IMO. For other stuff - learn and play by the rules so you're never at risk.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD was playing in the 10U ASA Southern nationals years ago and during the helmet and bat check, the ump pulled her helmet. Missing screw. We found a mom and pop Sports shop. It had no A/C with temps hitting 104 that week. I got my screw though for $1.47

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
OK, makes sense here.

Your issue is with the ump who didn’t call the rule properly. Not the one who did. And you will never win an argument with an ump by saying “but the other ump let us break the rule”

May 16, 2016
My question, are we as coaches just stuck having to make our catcher change the gear when an umpire wants to dig in on something like this?

How about you replace the screw? Replacement screws, and a screw driver should be part of your tournament kit. I use to also carry a couple of spare chin straps as well back when they were required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee