Umpire integrity, Coach integrity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I have been around the softball world for 16 years, either as a coach, league board member, and ocassionally reluctant umpire. I have seen several umpires for over 12 years and they have seen me at the B/C travel level. Now several of them sometimes do my DD's high school games and I ocassionally see an umpire I know at a PGF tournament. Do I get the benefit of the doubt ocassionally on a close call because of my reputation, sometimes. Is it unethical-- no. Also many less experienced coaches don't know how to calmly interact with the umpires on various issues that come up during games.

My favorite rule of thumb I use is "If anyone but the umpire you are asking the question of can hear you, you are asking the question the wrong way"
Your rule of thumb is a good one, and one that I follow when I am coaching. On the other hand, yes, it is unethical for you to get an occasional call because of your reputation. All calls should be made based on the rules and the unbiased judgement of the umpire. Who is in the dugout should have no effect whatsoever.

Jan 22, 2011
Your rule of thumb is a good one, and one that I follow when I am coaching. On the other hand, yes, it is unethical for you to get an occasional call because of your reputation. All calls should be made based on the rules and the unbiased judgement of the umpire. Who is in the dugout should have no effect whatsoever.
What I meant was an umpire is slightly more likely to go for help on a close call for me, than he might for a coach who doesn't use my rule of thumb. I only go out to ask when I absolutely think I have a chance to get it changed. I have gone out to "ask" for help, and told the umpire 'I know you can't change that call at all, but my parents want me to ask you, so I'm asking so they settle down a little'. I have also had umpires tell me, "Nice try K, go sit down'.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
What I meant was an umpire is slightly more likely to go for help on a close call for me, than he might for a coach who doesn't use my rule of thumb. I only go out to ask when I absolutely think I have a chance to get it changed. I have gone out to "ask" for help, and told the umpire 'I know you can't change that call at all, but my parents want me to ask you, so I'm asking so they settle down a little'. I have also had umpires tell me, "Nice try K, go sit down'.
That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying. On more than one occasion I've gone up to an official of one sport or another and said something like "I am not asking you to change a call, and I know from your angle you couldn't see it, but from our angle we could see..." Or if there is a young official who is not as knowledgeable as I, I have come up and said "I don't want you to change the call, but the rule says... You can look it up later. I want you to make the right call next time so no one yells at you." I talk to them as a fellow official trying to help, not as a coach trying to get a call to go his way. I don't expect anyone to be perfect and I try to see it from their point of view, and hopefully help them the next time the same situation comes up. On many occasions I've sat in the stands and seen a wrong call and when others complain, rather than telling them that it was a bad call I will explain what the official saw. If they understand why a call was made, they aren't as critical of the call itself. It doesn't always work, but more often than not.

Jan 22, 2011
. On many occasions I've sat in the stands and seen a wrong call and when others complain, rather than telling them that it was a bad call I will explain what the official saw. If they understand why a call was made, they aren't as critical of the call itself. It doesn't always work, but more often than not.
I started doing that this summer. Either explaining in the stands the umpire was right, or why the umpire called what he did. Usually if the umpire gets a judgement call wrong, its because of where he is located. For example, in a 2 umpire system if the field umpire needs to make a call at first from near the shortstop, he probably is too far away to hear whether the foot hit the bag before the ball hit the glove at 1st.

One of our pitchers has been doing a strength and conditioning program this summer, so her curve ball is breaking 3 to 4 inches sooner than it used to.... so she's missing the plate. You can only see that right behind the plate. I move 10 feet to the left of home plate, and it looks like the umpire is missing a great curve ball.

Reactions: PDM

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I started doing that this summer. Either explaining in the stands the umpire was right, or why the umpire called what he did. Usually if the umpire gets a judgement call wrong, its because of where he is located. For example, in a 2 umpire system if the field umpire needs to make a call at first from near the shortstop, he probably is too far away to hear whether the foot hit the bag before the ball hit the glove at 1st.

One of our pitchers has been doing a strength and conditioning program this summer, so her curve ball is breaking 3 to 4 inches sooner than it used to.... so she's missing the plate. You can only see that right behind the plate. I move 10 feet to the left of home plate, and it looks like the umpire is missing a great curve ball.
Definitely makes most people less critical when they at least know why a call was made a certain way. Others just like to complain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478