Umpire integrity, Coach integrity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2018
My questions for umpires are these:

Have you ever intentionally overturned a call or given preferential treatment to a team based on your relationship with the coach or the coach's position as a league/tournament director? If so, how often?
*** No

Have you ever been threatened with, or feared, there would be repercussions if you did not give preferential treatment to a certain team or coach? i.e. If you make bad calls for a certain team, you will be assigned to fewer games.
*** No

Have you ever assumed a coach knew a rule better than you and, therefore, overturned your call based on that coach's stating or interpretation of the rule?
*** LOL oh hell no

May 16, 2012
Missouri
I like to believe every umpire calls every game without prejudice, bias or undue influence. However, I've been around the game far too long to be that naive.

Recently, I heard the opposing team's coach, who also happens to be the league president, quietly ask the home plate umpire to give his team a "generous" strike zone as his team took the field. The umpire complied.

I've seen numerous other calls go in favor of teams whose coaches have prior relationships with the umpires (tournament directors, league directors and/or simply coaches that have been around a while). I've also seen the reverse occur - coaches with a history of arguing or complaining get calls made against them.

Some of the above is simply human nature; you develop a relationship with a coach who is polite, respectful and has demonstrated a clear knowledge of the rules. It stands to reason, that coach is more likely to be listened to when a question is asked than a coach where no prior relationship exists.

Have you ever intentionally overturned a call or given preferential treatment to a team based on your relationship with the coach or the coach's position as a league/tournament director? If so, how often?

Have you ever been threatened with, or feared, there would be repercussions if you did not give preferential treatment to a certain team or coach? i.e. If you make bad calls for a certain team, you will be assigned to fewer games.

Have you ever assumed a coach knew a rule better than you and, therefore, overturned your call based on that coach's stating or interpretation of the rule?

My question for coaches is:

Have you ever used your position and/or relationship with an umpire to elicit preferential treatment and/or a ruling that you knew was wrong?
No to all.

Feb 13, 2021
MI

No

Yes (details follow)

No

Just last week, after making an obvious interference call, I needed to let the HC eject himself for quite vocally getting personal with me. As he was leaving the field, he quite loudlyinformed both myself and the entire crowd that I would no longer work any of his games. This was the first game of a scheduled DH. I did not work the second game (fortunately for the players, there was a retired umpire available who was working the press box). I was scheduled to work several more dates for this team in the coming months. This HC has a habit of overreacting and then trying to apologize at a later date. However, I will not accept any more games from this organization. While I completely respect his ability to hire who he wants based on their ability, neither I nor several umpires who are familiar with the situation, will back his decision to hire or not based on what calls they make or who the calls go for/against.

Aug 25, 2019
No

Yes (details follow)

No

Just last week, after making an obvious interference call, I needed to let the HC eject himself for quite vocally getting personal with me. As he was leaving the field, he quite loudlyinformed both myself and the entire crowd that I would no longer work any of his games. This was the first game of a scheduled DH. I did not work the second game (fortunately for the players, there was a retired umpire available who was working the press box). I was scheduled to work several more dates for this team in the coming months. This HC has a habit of overreacting and then trying to apologize at a later date. However, I will not accept any more games from this organization. While I completely respect his ability to hire who he wants based on their ability, neither I nor several umpires who are familiar with the situation, will back his decision to hire or not based on what calls they make or who the calls go for/against.
Huh?.....That coach determines what umpire works where? I understand a coach may request a umpire not work his/her game, but who is he to determine who works where?.....And were you scheduled to work the second game and chose not ot, or did that coach have you not work?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I was replaced through no choice of my own. In this area, for this organization, the home team hires/schedules the umpires.

Jun 22, 2019
I’ve only been a part of one game where the umpire was clearly calling for one of the teams.

our team won…lesson for other coach, be respectful to the umpires.

Dec 6, 2019
While I completely respect his ability to hire who he wants based on their ability, neither I nor several umpires who are familiar with the situation, will back his decision to hire or not based on what calls they make or who the calls go for/against.

That sounds exactly like what you did though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22