Ump fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
Down here on Long Island, it's $131 for varsity, $112 for JV, an 94.50 for middle school, which has a two hour limit, and a lot of those games are one umpire for $141.75. Travel.ball is $55 two umpires 1:20 game, but for some reason its Only $60 for one umpire. I do not take one umpire games for only $5 more.

In my section (Section II), It's around $100 for varsity, $75.50 for JV, and $68.50 for modified, plus an $8 travel allowance. Any games that are single umpires are 1.5x the fee, plus the $8 travel fee. No games have time limits at all (including modified games - good judgment is the only requirement). Our TB tournaments vary for time limits, etc. In Wintertime, we do 1:15 drop dead for pool play and 1:10 finish the inning for the brackets (we only have 2 fields inside our local dome complex). Summertime varies. Some are 1:20 finish, some are 1:30 finish, and some drop dead. It's a mixture each weekend.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Down here on Long Island, it's $131 for varsity, $112 for JV, an 94.50 for middle school, which has a two hour limit, and a lot of those games are one umpire for $141.75. Travel.ball is $55 two umpires 1:20 game, but for some reason its Only $60 for one umpire. I do not take one umpire games for only $5 more.
Yeah, but you get stuck working for Mike. 🤣🤣🤣

Jan 22, 2011
Wow. Maybe I should move back to Long Island! I might need to send my Assigner a link to this thread.

May 29, 2015
Wow. Ump pay doesn't seem to be an issue. Making bank out there. What is the most you can make on a pool play day?

If you only look at income, everything looks good.

I'm in for about $300 before a season even starts with the fees, association dues, clinics, and camps needed for all of the "brands" of softball and baseball I call. That does not include travel expenses, travel time, or the several hours spent in those clinics, camps, and taking tests.

Adding spoiler tags just so this doesn't take up as much room ...

USSSA shirts -- and yes, there is a new shirt this year you are supposed to have -- are going for $37 and hats are $27. They haven't unveiled the cost for a jacket (yes, you have to wear their jacket) or the ballbags they want you to use. Don't forget, there IS NO BLUE IN USSSA, so we don't want you to use anything you already have. Oh, and you can ONLY buy from us, so you can't competitively shop for your stuff.

USA shirts are going for $32 with an upcharge for bigger umpires. So, if I want my shirt to fit over my chest protector, I'm looking at $34 per shirt. Don't forget, we have light blue, navy, pink, and white ... you want to make sure you are prepared to match any partner! $22 for a hat. Ball bags that say USA Softball (because ... um ... the balls will fall out of my good ball bags with no logo on them?) are $11 a piece. Don't forget, it gets cold ... jacket is $57 (with a fat-tax). USA also holds an exclusive "buy from us" policy.

NFHS is a little better, because I can shop vendors and then have my state association logo embroidered locally (or from the vendor). Many states are not that flexible and approach the $50 mark for a shirt and $40 for a hat.

PGF ... $35 for a shirt (they used to use NFHS colors, now they don't) ... $18 for a hat ... $14 each for ball bags ... $55 for light jacket, $70 for a heavy one.

Granted, you probably won't be buying all new uniforms every year, but depending on how much and where you work, you will be replacing things every year.

Oh ... we forgot pants ... for decent-to-good umpire pants, figure $65-$70 per pair. Heather grey for softball, charcoal grey for baseball. Different pants for plate and bases. Plus you may want a lighter pant for summer and a heavier pant for spring/late fall. I just got a steal by buying 4 pairs of used baseball pants (2 lightweight poly, 2 heavier wool) for $125 shipped.

Now ... should we talk about equipment? Granted, I am reaching the point that I am spending more money on my equipment, but I just bought a high-end new mask (with an extra set of pads) today for $235 ... and that was a bargain from a guy who used it once and didn't like it. My current mask cost me about $75, but it is a dirt cheapo-mask (off the rack from Scheels) with upgraded pads (Team Wendy's, $40).

My first chest protector was a "floor model" from a vendor and I paid $100 for it. I replaced it a couple of years ago to try to find something that wasn't as hot ... so my current one I picked up while schmoozing a sale and a coupon for $75 -- now, it is hard to find in stock and is typically $100-$140. This one is a bit "stiff" and bulky for me, so I'm considering a high-end one that is about $200. Sure, you can throw on a catcher's chest protector if you are just working in the community park for rec ball ...

I'm ranting ... shin guards $100 ... plate shoes $125 ... base shoes $85 ... cup/compression shorts ... belts, socks, under shirts ... cold weather gear ... brushes and indicators/clickers/counters and lineup keeper and pens ... sunglasses ... sunscreen ... water/sport drink of choice ... snacks ... food ... travel time to games ... time away from family ...
time spent here! 😋

Yes, high school games are in the $60 - $100 range (most around $70), but that is one a day (or one and a few innings of JV to get you to the $100). Around here, if you work every night (including multiple games on Saturdays), work your tail off, and are willing to drive an hour each way, you might get 7-8 games per week for the 8-weeks or so of the season. Realistically, you will work 3-4 due to work and the wear and tear on your body.

Tournaments where you will kill yourself you could make $300+ in a weekend ($500 if you really kill yourself). Add onto that the fact that you are garbage by the last game. I hate to say this, and it isn't always true, but typically the guys that do that put in the same mediocre level the whole time. If you are really doing it "right" your focus and energy will not hold out for 10-12 games over two days. A good tournament director and/or assignor won't even allow umpires to do that.

While down south, I quit working those youth tournaments for $45/game and started working varsity and above level tournaments. I did half the number of games, but still made better money and had much better experiences. Most of those were 2+ hours away, so that is time I invested not only in travel, but in not being home to get things done, relax, etc. They did pay for my hotel, but I was paying all other expenses.

Oh yeah ... and that income is before any taxes. Don't forget to take those out. I do bring in some good money. But it also costs me a lot ... in money, time, mental health, and physical health.

I was listening to a podcast earlier today that made a really good point I hadn't given enough thought to ... We complain that umpire/official pay has not gone up much, but what are we doing to earn that increase? Are we going to camps and clinics to get better? Are we spending time in the rule book to show why we should see an increase? Too many umpires are freeloading off of the hard work that too few are putting in.

Sorry that is so long ... but there are so many factors that most people never consider.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
If you only look at income, everything looks good.

I'm in for about $300 before a season even starts with the fees, association dues, clinics, and camps needed for all of the "brands" of softball and baseball I call. That does not include travel expenses, travel time, or the several hours spent in those clinics, camps, and taking tests.

Adding spoiler tags just so this doesn't take up as much room ...

USSSA shirts -- and yes, there is a new shirt this year you are supposed to have -- are going for $37 and hats are $27. They haven't unveiled the cost for a jacket (yes, you have to wear their jacket) or the ballbags they want you to use. Don't forget, there IS NO BLUE IN USSSA, so we don't want you to use anything you already have. Oh, and you can ONLY buy from us, so you can't competitively shop for your stuff.

USA shirts are going for $32 with an upcharge for bigger umpires. So, if I want my shirt to fit over my chest protector, I'm looking at $34 per shirt. Don't forget, we have light blue, navy, pink, and white ... you want to make sure you are prepared to match any partner! $22 for a hat. Ball bags that say USA Softball (because ... um ... the balls will fall out of my good ball bags with no logo on them?) are $11 a piece. Don't forget, it gets cold ... jacket is $57 (with a fat-tax). USA also holds an exclusive "buy from us" policy.

NFHS is a little better, because I can shop vendors and then have my state association logo embroidered locally (or from the vendor). Many states are not that flexible and approach the $50 mark for a shirt and $40 for a hat.

PGF ... $35 for a shirt (they used to use NFHS colors, now they don't) ... $18 for a hat ... $14 each for ball bags ... $55 for light jacket, $70 for a heavy one.

Granted, you probably won't be buying all new uniforms every year, but depending on how much and where you work, you will be replacing things every year.

Oh ... we forgot pants ... for decent-to-good umpire pants, figure $65-$70 per pair. Heather grey for softball, charcoal grey for baseball. Different pants for plate and bases. Plus you may want a lighter pant for summer and a heavier pant for spring/late fall. I just got a steal by buying 4 pairs of used baseball pants (2 lightweight poly, 2 heavier wool) for $125 shipped.

Now ... should we talk about equipment? Granted, I am reaching the point that I am spending more money on my equipment, but I just bought a high-end new mask (with an extra set of pads) today for $235 ... and that was a bargain from a guy who used it once and didn't like it. My current mask cost me about $75, but it is a dirt cheapo-mask (off the rack from Scheels) with upgraded pads (Team Wendy's, $40).

My first chest protector was a "floor model" from a vendor and I paid $100 for it. I replaced it a couple of years ago to try to find something that wasn't as hot ... so my current one I picked up while schmoozing a sale and a coupon for $75 -- now, it is hard to find in stock and is typically $100-$140. This one is a bit "stiff" and bulky for me, so I'm considering a high-end one that is about $200. Sure, you can throw on a catcher's chest protector if you are just working in the community park for rec ball ...

I'm ranting ... shin guards $100 ... plate shoes $125 ... base shoes $85 ... cup/compression shorts ... belts, socks, under shirts ... cold weather gear ... brushes and indicators/clickers/counters and lineup keeper and pens ... sunglasses ... sunscreen ... water/sport drink of choice ... snacks ... food ... travel time to games ... time away from family ...
time spent here! 😋

Yes, high school games are in the $60 - $100 range (most around $70), but that is one a day (or one and a few innings of JV to get you to the $100). Around here, if you work every night (including multiple games on Saturdays), work your tail off, and are willing to drive an hour each way, you might get 7-8 games per week for the 8-weeks or so of the season. Realistically, you will work 3-4 due to work and the wear and tear on your body.

Tournaments where you will kill yourself you could make $300+ in a weekend ($500 if you really kill yourself). While down south, I quit working those youth tournaments for $45/game and started working varsity and above level tournaments. I did half the number of games, but still made better money. Most of those were 2+ hours away, so that is time I invested not only in travel, but in not being home to get things done, relax, etc. They did pay for my hotel, but I was paying all other expenses.

Oh yeah ... and that income is before any taxes. Don't forget to take those out. I do bring in some good money. But it also costs me a lot ... in money, time, mental health, and physical health.

I was listening to a podcast earlier today that made a really good point I hadn't given enough thought to ... We complain that umpire/official pay has not gone up much, but what are we doing to earn that increase? Are we going to camps and clinics to get better? Are we spending time in the rule book to show why we should see an increase? Too many umpires are freeloading off of the hard work that too few are putting in.

Sorry that is so long ... but there are so many factors that most people never consider.
Sooooo, just like every other job out there.

Oh my, I have to get to my job by myself too(time & money).

My job takes tech school training and license. Guess what, not covered by an employer. Probably more time, money, commitment than an afternoon ump course.

Work clothing and PPE......out of pocket

Taxes you say....99% of umps are dodging taxes.

$40 hr for an ump gig is golden. teachers, cops, firefighters aren't getting that

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

My job takes tech school training and license. Guess what, not covered by an employer. Probably more time, money, commitment than an afternoon ump course.

$40 hr for an ump gig is golden. teachers, cops, firefighters aren't getting that
This is all relative to where you live. On Long Island, teachers and police officers make a very good living. It's not uncommon for a police officer to make north of $200K per year. And teachers are making $130K + after 20 years on the job. All of this and they have some of the best benefits and retirement plans out there.

Jun 8, 2016

Considering the jackasses they have to deal with it is not enough…

May 29, 2015

I guess that is my point ... It is just like every other job out there. It isn't some a magic cash machine for do-nothing umpires so that should justify the way people acting the way they do towards umpires. It's just like all the people who think they will buy some rental properties or flip a house and then have it made. It is a job.

Sure, some clown can buy a navy polo at Walmart, borrow his kids' catcher's gear, and turn his hat around backwards ... just like some jamoke can paint your living room or rewire your breaker panel for a fraction of the price of a professional who takes pride in their craft and actually does the job the right way.

b2c7700aa88f2be82fe4c76835378cc7.jpg

If you understand that (which you do seem to), then you would understand that the pay may look like it is $40/hour ... but it isn't even close. Teachers, cops, firefighters ... make more than that. Especially when you figure in benefits. I left my house this morning at 8:45 and I got back at 4:45. 8 hours. I came home with a $200 check. I get $25/hour out of that. Still, nothing to sneeze at, but that is EBITDA.

I am not saying we don't make anything ... you can make good money if you work at it, like anything else. My son started to work NCAA baseball this year. He won't make a living out of it, but it is helping pay his tuition. He does far better working a college double header than he did today at a youth softball tournament. I don't know how many games he worked, but he was out the door at 6am and back in at 9pm (I know he had a 90 minute drive)... and he almost didn't even make it in the door before he passed out (I couldn't even ask him how many).

Over the years the money I've earned has paid for my kids' activities (such as the softball that brought me here), a chunk of my wife's car, a short vacation, and a whole lot of bills.

As for your accusation of dodging taxes, sure, there are officials who do. There are professionals in every field who do that too. 99%? You are just trying to be denigrating.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

What bothers me is how many umpires start plate meetings with their own personal rules/rule adjustments.

Had an umpire for a non-conference, varsity game last week say he didn't even want the lineup card "because this is an exhibition." I don't even really know what that's supposed to mean, but it was a real game. The score is on MaxPreps. It counts toward season stats and records and everything else. But all he wanted to talk about was how quickly we could all get home for dinner.

He actually wasn't a terrible umpire overall. A couple blown calls, but nothing out of the ordinary. But still, why should that guy get more money?

This year we're paying $80 for HS games. I use two umpires for varsity unless I have no other choice (so far so good on that this year). Only one for JV. We've also been putting various limits on JV games to move them along (time limit, sometimes batter/run limits, etc.).

We can't pay more than that, but I can make sure I book the umpires who deserve to get the money as often as possible. I actually kind of love when the good umps tell me their season schedule is full. That tells me others recognize they're doing good work, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2