Ump fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Sooooo, just like every other job out there.

Oh my, I have to get to my job by myself too(time & money).

My job takes tech school training and license. Guess what, not covered by an employer. Probably more time, money, commitment than an afternoon ump course.

Work clothing and PPE......out of pocket

Taxes you say....99% of umps are dodging taxes.

$40 hr for an ump gig is golden. teachers, cops, firefighters aren't getting that
The difference between your job (and most jobs) and umpiring, is that if you quit your job, someone is gonna be there to fill it, that's not the case for umpires.

Jan 22, 2011
I declared what I earned umpiring last year, even though it was under $600. Had more than $500 in expenses to write off against it. Org I work for this year gives out 1099s even if I do just one game.

Did one rec game yesterday morning, then went to watch a 1PM 10u game at another league to support a player I’ve worked with a couple times on pitching. League UIC was doing that game. He asked me if I had my gear with me and would do a 3PM and 530PM game for him. I told him I was jetlagged and wasn’t feeling up to doing another game.

I didn’t want to do High School games this spring, but will do 12 to 15 because of the shortage of officials. My partner Friday said he is doing 2 to 3 more games a week than he’d prefer, but is doing them because of the official shortage.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Its a fact. Umps and refs do it all the time. I know some of them because they brag about it. Quite a few won't even take games or events that would trigger a 1099 or are payed with a check. Some have even said that on DFP in the other ump pay thread.
I guess that is my point ... It is just like every other job out there. It isn't some a magic cash machine for do-nothing umpires so that should justify the way people acting the way they do towards umpires. It's just like all the people who think they will buy some rental properties or flip a house and then have it made. It is a job.

Sure, some clown can buy a navy polo at Walmart, borrow his kids' catcher's gear, and turn his hat around backwards ... just like some jamoke can paint your living room or rewire your breaker panel for a fraction of the price of a professional who takes pride in their craft and actually does the job the right way.

b2c7700aa88f2be82fe4c76835378cc7.jpg

If you understand that (which you do seem to), then you would understand that the pay may look like it is $40/hour ... but it isn't even close. Teachers, cops, firefighters ... make more than that. Especially when you figure in benefits. I left my house this morning at 8:45 and I got back at 4:45. 8 hours. I came home with a $200 check. I get $25/hour out of that. Still, nothing to sneeze at, but that is EBITDA.

I am not saying we don't make anything ... you can make good money if you work at it, like anything else. My son started to work NCAA baseball this year. He won't make a living out of it, but it is helping pay his tuition. He does far better working a college double header than he did today at a youth softball tournament. I don't know how many games he worked, but he was out the door at 6am and back in at 9pm (I know he had a 90 minute drive)... and he almost didn't even make it in the door before he passed out (I couldn't even ask him how many).

Over the years the money I've earned has paid for my kids' activities (such as the softball that brought me here), a chunk of my wife's car, a short vacation, and a whole lot of bills.

As for your accusation of dodging taxes, sure, there are officials who do. There are professionals in every field who do that too. 99%? You are just trying to be denigrating.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Sooooo, just like every other job out there.

Oh my, I have to get to my job by myself too(time & money).

My job takes tech school training and license. Guess what, not covered by an employer. Probably more time, money, commitment than an afternoon ump course.

Work clothing and PPE......out of pocket

Taxes you say....99% of umps are dodging taxes.

$40 hr for an ump gig is golden. teachers, cops, firefighters aren't getting that
So just to let you know, it really isn't.
I so my calculations on a per hour basis.

Some factors:
  • MIB detailed some dues/uniform/fees/etc. There is also a bunch of other time commitments, etc.
  • For HS you are travelling for ONE game, not an 8 hour day, so some travel time should be included. In some areas you can travel up to 3 hours for that one game.
  • For weekends I can see not including travel because it is generally a full day
  • HS games are generally 2 hours-3hours on average of game play. You are required to be there at least 30 minutes before and there is a (normally) short post-game de-brief.. Plus a bunch of trainings/meetings./etc...Lets say HS averages out at 4 hours/game not including travel.. so probably about $20/hour with everything
  • Most weekend tourney games are 1:30 (1:15 finish the inning). You need to be there 30 minutes before the first game. You don't get paid for game breaks, weather, field work, etc, etc... that all adds up. If I do 4 games probably comes out to $20-25ish/hour but you need to do at least 4 games which is 8 hours minimum.
Taxes - if you get a form you pay the taxes. Some you do, some you don't. HS and college you pay your taxes - offset somewhat by equipment and others, but you pay. Travel - depends but since Venmo etc are now requiring tax stuff, more than it used to be. Scrimmages is all cash.

So yeah - teachers, cops, firefighters are absolutely getting that. They all have some level of career path as well because it is full time. There is not a career path for softball umpire - not with just games anyway.

May 29, 2015
Its a fact. Umps and refs do it all the time. I know some of them because they brag about it. Quite a few won't even take games or events that would trigger a 1099 or are payed with a check. Some have even said that on DFP in the other ump pay thread.

So do independent business owners, daycare providers, house cleaners, CEOs, and on and on. I am not saying that to justify it, just to point out that your rant on sports officials, while not incorrect, is being spun a bit.

I am not disagreeing with the assertion, just the statistic you made up earlier.

You are correct about the level some people go to to avoid triggering a 1099. Many guys I work with will only take a certain number of games from schools to avoid that. This year, the school in the town I live in started paying on Arbiter. They also reduced the number of people who would work for them because of that. Not saying that is good or bad, just that it is.

May 29, 2015
Taxes - if you get a form you pay the taxes. Some you do, some you don't. HS and college you pay your taxes - offset somewhat by equipment and others, but you pay. Travel - depends but since Venmo etc are now requiring tax stuff, more than it used to be. Scrimmages is all cash.

Maybe there is a tax professional out there who can address this question/problem ...

I know that the IRS has postponed the "Venmo/Paypal Rules" because it is a mess. A question came up in a clinic about being 1099ed from BOTH the school and Arbiter for the same games ... a couple of guys claimed they had it happen. (I don't know if they actually did, just trying to find out how this is supposed to work.)

My understanding is this (and I may be wrong): Venmo, PayPal, Arbiter, and whomever were trying to insert themselves as a middle man who would prepare the 1099 for the school (for a fee, of course). Then the government said the pay services HAD to provide a 1099 ... so now pay was being combined from multiple sources into one 1099 (if multiple schools used that service). So it looks as if we could be double-dinged if we are getting two 1099s for the same work.

My bank doesn't send me a 1099 for all my withdrawals. What sense does it make to have the pay services do this? (I know they are trying to catch all those small independent businesses who use these services, but this seems to be breaking more things than it is fixing.)

May 16, 2016
My understanding is this (and I may be wrong): Venmo, PayPal, Arbiter, and whomever were trying to insert themselves as a middle man who would prepare the 1099 for the school (for a fee, of course). Then the government said the pay services HAD to provide a 1099 ... so now pay was being combined from multiple sources into one 1099 (if multiple schools used that service). So it looks as if we could be double-dinged if we are getting two 1099s for the same work.
Not a tax professional, but I will share my insight. The rules haven't really changed, Venmo (and other 3rd party payment facilitators) have always had to report these payments on a 1099. The difference is when the new rules take effect sometime in the 2023 reporting year, the IRS has lowered the threshold from $20k, to $600.

If your payor tags the payment on Venmo as "for Goods or Services" the amount will be tracked by Venmo, and when you exceed the $600 limit for "goods and services", it will trigger creation of a 1099-K.

Now, a 1099-K does not mean the payments are "taxable", maybe some of it was reimbursement of expenses for example. In addition, receiving a 1099-K from Venmo and a 1099-NEC from the payor for the same payment, does not mean you have to report the amounts twice.

So example, HS pays you $1000 for games in 2023 through Venmo, and tags it as "for Goods and Services".

High School Sends you 1099-NEC for $1000
Venmo sends you 1099K for $1000

You report $1000 on your Tax Return.

Now, what is going to make umpires unhappy...

3 different High Schools pay an ump $400 each for 2023 through Venmo, tagged as "for Goods and Services".

The ump will not receive any 1099-NECs, as each school is under the $600 limit.
BUT this will trigger Venmo to send a 1099-K for $1200.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Maybe there is a tax professional out there who can address this question/problem ...

I know that the IRS has postponed the "Venmo/Paypal Rules" because it is a mess. A question came up in a clinic about being 1099ed from BOTH the school and Arbiter for the same games ... a couple of guys claimed they had it happen. (I don't know if they actually did, just trying to find out how this is supposed to work.)

My bank doesn't send me a 1099 for all my withdrawals. What sense does it make to have the pay services do this? (I know they are trying to catch all those small independent businesses who use these services, but this seems to be breaking more things than it is fixing.)
To resume January 2024. They want data from all forms of electronic payments that you receive and will 1099 you for anything over 600.00

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee