Ugliest Power 5 DI Softball in Years!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2015
Is it just me, or is this the ugliest year of Power 5 DI softball ever!? I've never seen SO MANY Es, HBPs, and BBs by supposedly *the best of the best* teams and pitchers in DI. SMH

Sunday's Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State game is a perfect example. OSU makes 3 errors in the top of the 3rd inning only to be followed by OU starter and reliever giving up two 2 run HRs thanks to 2 HBPs and 4 BBs in the bottom of the 3rd!

Plenty of other SEC and ACC examples over the last month too. Hard to watch.

Chalk it up to COVID-19 I guess.

Jun 8, 2016
Yup, I am sure a mid-major will be taking home the title this year..

FYI OU was close to setting the NCAA record for fielding % for a year..

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2015
Well, to be fair, it was OSU that committed 4 errors and OU only had 1. but it was the #1 and #2 pitchers not able to find the strike zone that was shocking! Thank goodness the freshman came in to save the day. ;-)

Yup, I am sure a mid-major will be taking home the title this year..

FYI OU was close to setting the NCAA record for fielding % for a year..

Dec 11, 2010
I’m surprised at the outfield play in P5 sometimes. Especially LF. Not getting behind balls, not setting up throws, some teams scoop everything, throwing to the wrong place, etc etc.

It does seem like there are routine infield plays not made as regularly.

Two things: Balls at this level are getting hit harder than ever. That is a tough position to play if your coach has the attitude that “anyone can play outfield/I’ll just throw one of these 12 former ss’s I recruited out there.”

Hitting is emphasized over defense more than even a few years ago. Putting a great defense on the field and hoping to score a run or two used to be a good strategy. (Any coaches coming to mind?) Good luck with that plan in 2021.

Nov 18, 2013
I’m surprised at the outfield play in P5 sometimes. Especially LF. Not getting behind balls, not setting up throws, some teams scoop everything, throwing to the wrong place, etc etc.

It does seem like there are routine infield plays not made as regularly.

Two things: Balls at this level are getting hit harder than ever. That is a tough position to play if your coach has the attitude that “anyone can play outfield/I’ll just throw one of these 12 former ss’s I recruited out there.”

Hitting is emphasized over defense more than even a few years ago. Putting a great defense on the field and hoping to score a run or two used to be a good strategy. (Any coaches coming to mind?) Good luck with that plan in 2021.

Mickey Dean!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Mickey Dean!
I met Mickey Dean at Panera Bread in Boulder several years ago. He just came off a great year (Last) at JMU. I told him congrats on a great year and then sat down for a lunch with the family. Before he left he came over to my table and told us good luck in the tourney. I thought that was nice of him.

This is where it gets creepy. We go back to the bottom complex at the Stazio fields where DD meets up with her team for pre game, and I head over to one of the fields to watch the Corona Angels play. And dayum I almost ran into Mickey Dean when I rounded the building! I swear I wasn't following you! I felt compelled to go to another field. LOL!!!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I met Mickey Dean at Panera Bread in Boulder several years ago. He just came off a great year (Last) at JMU. I told him congrats on a great year and then sat down for a lunch with the family. Before he left he came over to my table and told us good luck in the tourney. I thought that was nice of him.

This is where it gets creepy. We go back to the bottom complex at the Stazio fields where DD meets up with her team for pre game, and I head over to one of the fields to watch the Corona Angels play. And dayum I almost ran into Mickey Dean when I rounded the building! I swear I wasn't following you! I felt compelled to go to another field. LOL!!!
When he was still @ JMU he came down and ran a team camp for us. Man he initially came off as a jerk and ALL the girls, including my DD called him a jerk! But as the day went on and the more he talked, and the more of a jerk he became, the more I really started liking him! You have no problem knowing exactly where this man stands!!

He was borderline abusive to all the pitchers, which I thought was hilarious! "PITCHERS DON'T WIN GAMES....PITCHERS LOSE GAMES!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802