UGA corners wearing masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My dd loves her mask, 14. She's so used to it she says it doesn't feel like she has it on. Sometimes she will forget to put it on, she told me when she does that and suddenly realizes it's not on, she feels naked. We just started Travel ball and I've been told by parents that lots of high schools don't allow players to wear masks, idk if that's true? I do know, on our TB team, if they go to a showcase tourney they are told not to wear masks because coaches don't like them. I just don't understand it? My dd isn't scared of the ball, if anything the mask makes her more aggressive on the field because she knows she protected. It doesn't slow her down or hinder her sight why would coaches look down on players for protecting themselves!

Feb 7, 2013
I do know, on our TB team, if they go to a showcase tourney they are told not to wear masks because coaches don't like them. I just don't understand it?

Me neither, a real shame. Tell you one thing, I wouldn't want to be that coach that tells her not to wear safety equipment and she gets a line drive to her face.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There is a high profile coach in our area who belittles girls who wear masks at any age. He insults them and tells them they must be too ugly to show their face. He really shouldn't be allowed to coach young ladies, but somehow, people must think this is good.

I've said this before... This is the same A$$ who stands behind a huge screen to pitch front toss.

I'd be using this as a recruiting tool against him.... You are awesome, and unlike if you played for A$$, you can wear a mask and anything else she wants playing for me.

Jul 6, 2013
As a coach, I feel that the parents put their trust in me to prepare their daughters for the level of ball we will be playing. It is my opinion that they expect that I will do whatever is in my power to put them in a position to have the most success possible, without compromising their safety. I know that this position isn't popular with some, but if a girl is going to play infield for me, she is going to wear a mask. I will not leave it up to the girl, or to the parent. My catcher will not remove her helmet when a ball is put in play, and she won't catch for more than 3 games or 12 innings in a day. My pitchers also won't pitch more than 2 games or 150 pitches in a day. 250 in a weekend.

Yes, I went a bit off topic there. But as a parent, I also will not allow my children to play for coaches who have only wins/losses in mind, and not the development and safety of all the kids as a priority.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As a coach, I feel that the parents put their trust in me to prepare their daughters for the level of ball we will be playing. It is my opinion that they expect that I will do whatever is in my power to put them in a position to have the most success possible, without compromising their safety. I know that this position isn't popular with some, but if a girl is going to play infield for me, she is going to wear a mask. I will not leave it up to the girl, or to the parent. My catcher will not remove her helmet when a ball is put in play, and she won't catch for more than 3 games or 12 innings in a day. My pitchers also won't pitch more than 2 games or 150 pitches in a day. 250 in a weekend.

Yes, I went a bit off topic there. But as a parent, I also will not allow my children to play for coaches who have only wins/losses in mind, and not the development and safety of all the kids as a priority.

What age group do you coach and what is the basis for these limits?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My dd, while pitching at 16U, took a line drive right off her left knee cap a couple years ago. I can tell you the ball came back at her so quickly that most people didn't know what was happening. We heard 3 distinct pop sounds. The bat, then her knee, and then the back stop....all in about 1 seconds time. Had that been her face, I can't even stomach the thought of it.
Wearing a mask means a lot to me. Introduce me to a coach who belittles girls for wearing one, and I'll introduce his mouth to my fist. Then we'll see if it would have hurt less had he worn a mask. I have zero tolerance for a$$ holes who talk crap to young girls.

You would go to prison felony assault or worse to prove a point? That would certainly have an impact on your DD. Or is this just rhetorical bluster?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
What age group do you coach and what is the basis for these limits?

I coach 14U. The limits on the pitchers are based on lots of conversations with pitching coaches regarding stress on the arm, with one well known coach being the main influence. I trust her opinion on this matter and that of her staff immensely.

The basis for catching is more personal observation and both myself and my wife having been catchers for years. The wear and tear on the knees is rough. I've seen too many girls have surgeries or quit altogether for knee problems after catching all weekend for their TB teams for years. And yes, I've also seen some who had no issue with it whatsoever. Ideally I'd like to get it to 2 games/10 innings.

Jul 6, 2013
You would go to prison felony assault or worse to prove a point? That would certainly have an impact on your DD. Or is this just rhetorical bluster?

To this point, the original post was that a coach belittles girls and says they must be too ugly to show their face if they wear a mask. Rest assured, if a grown man calls either of my daughters ugly because they are wearing masks, I will gladly do as the poster you quoted would. And unless I took the mask off and hit him with it, it would be simple battery, not felony assault. ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
To this point, the original post was that a coach belittles girls and says they must be too ugly to show their face if they wear a mask. Rest assured, if a grown man calls either of my daughters ugly because they are wearing masks, I will gladly do as the poster you quoted would. And unless I took the mask off and hit him with it, it would be simple battery, not felony assault. ;)
You are wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop