UCLA and USC potentially going to the Big Ten Conference.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
These moves are ALWAYS about the money. And always about football.

The NCAA might be better off making men's basketball and football into university affiliated businesses and official farms for the pros. They are already that. Then they can worry about other college sports which aren't so contorted by money.
The money this deal brings in via the Big Ten Network will help every sport in the Big Ten.

Jun 8, 2016
Haha..Riley thought he was going to have an easy path to the college football playoffs in the PAC 12..

Jan 22, 2011
Pepperdine doesn't have varsity softball either. 3 of the top 5 school's on my DD's interest list don't have varsity softball :(

Feb 13, 2021
MI
These moves are ALWAYS about the money. And always about football.

These moves are 99% about football, and 100% about the money side of football.
Well USC football and UCLA basketball, but yes, it is about the revenue positive sports, also explains the timing, 2024 is when the current PAC-12 tv deal expires.

However, without the revenue-positive sports, there would be far fewer or no scholarships in revenue-negative sports i.e. everything else.

Sep 29, 2014
All about the TV money period!! Why should USC and UCLA get $30M a year from the PAC-12 when they could get $75M a year from the Big10?

The extra money should be able to cover travel cost and then some.

Get ready for a LOT of BIG 10 Teams playing at UCLA in Feb and Mar.

Jul 5, 2016
Kirk Herbstreit (SEC today commentator) speculates that the top colleges might end up like MLB - two big leagues with 3-4 divisions in each league. Seems like the athletes at this level will be looking at even more travel than is already the case.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All about the TV money period!! Why should USC and UCLA get $30M a year from the PAC-12 when they could get $75M a year from the Big10?

The extra money should be able to cover travel cost and then some.

Get ready for a LOT of BIG 10 Teams playing at UCLA in Feb and Mar.
Ca. may want to create another lane on the freeway and off road ramp for UCLA...
Hmmm... knowing California that may be toll road lanes...
🙈🙉🙊...ucla team pass lanes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Pepperdine doesn't have varsity softball either. 3 of the top 5 school's on my DD's interest list don't have varsity softball :(
We took a driving tour of Pepperdine during the spring. Breathtaking views. My HS buddy's son played ball at Pepperdine for several years then transferred to Mizz then South Carolina.

Aug 12, 2014
Kirk Herbstreit (SEC today commentator) speculates that the top colleges might end up like MLB - two big leagues with 3-4 divisions in each league. Seems like the athletes at this level will be looking at even more travel than is already the case.

Nah, they'll end up with less travel because the conferences will set up regional divisions. It will be back to how it used to be with regional conferences. The Big Ten will have the northern half of the country and the SEC the southern half, and they'll each have 3 or 4 divisions set up regionally.

Sep 10, 2019
The past few seasons, I have slowly grown away from PAC12 football. I'm sure a few sports equipment suppliers and networks are in the $$$$ mix with this change. 😆 I presume revenue will be guided exactly where it's intended to go. It should be interesting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812