U.S.A./USSSA age chart changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2023
Or he decides to move up and 7/12s of his team decide to stay down with another team.
That's the real concern. I either strand the older kids in 12U or I drag the younger kids to 12U. Both ways have a downside, I just liked it better when "my" kid was forced to go to 12U so obviously I would be going up and people could follow if it made sense for their child. That made it easier to explain, now I have some decisions to make and anytime that happens, you know "somebody" is going to be annoyed.

This change just made it more complicated for me, and I'm sure many others are in similar situations.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That's the real concern. I either strand the older kids in 12U or I drag the younger kids to 12U. Both ways have a downside, I just liked it better when "my" kid was forced to go to 12U so obviously I would be going up and people could follow if it made sense for their child. Made it easier to explain, not I have some decisions to make and anytime that happens, you know people are going to be pissed!

This change just made it more complicated for me, and I'm sure many others are in similar situations.
Your number one concern is your kid. That said if she was forced to move up would she have been able to compete? If the answer is yes then move her up. If the only reason you are keeping her down is so she can be the best player on the field at 10u then I don’t think that is all that important..

May 13, 2021
Your number one concern is your kid. That said if she was forced to move up would she have been able to compete? If the answer is yes then move her up. If the only reason you are keeping her down is so she can be the best player on the field at 10u then I don’t think that is all that important..
That is assuming the talent level on the teams are equal. Could be they could either complete middle of the road 12u or top level 10u.

Mar 18, 2023
No, its more about keeping a team of girls that I (and the other coaches) have invested a lot of time in developing, together. The families are all very good as well and I don't want anyone to feel like they were abandoned, especially when I don't know what team is able to pick them up at the 12U level. It's not a business for me, its something I do because I love it and I want to provide the best for every kid on the team.

Covid took a real toll on the volume of players in the organization and now that we have a solid team that plays well together and can compete, I hate to lose it.

Jun 8, 2016
No, its more about keeping a team of girls that I (and the other coaches) have invested a lot of time in developing, together. The families are all very good as well and I don't want anyone to feel like they were abandoned, especially when I don't know what team is able to pick them up at the 12U level. It's not a business for me, its something I do because I love it and I want to provide the best for every kid on the team.

Covid took a real toll on the volume of players in the organization and now that we have a solid team that plays well together and can compete, I hate to lose it.
With either choice some girls will be “left behind” assuming some of the 10u eligible kids will choose not to move up should you choose that route…🤷🏽‍♂️

The only choice which gets you what you want is to just not play USA at all and hope the other sanctions don’t change in the future..

Dec 2, 2019

I really think you're overthinking this. If the younger girls are good enough to move up to 12u then move them up, if not they should stay in 10u for their benefit.

Jan 20, 2023

I’m sorry this impacts your team.

I’m another December mom for it. I’m in a state that plays fall high school and due to an agreement has no club tournaments past 14u in the fall until highschool is over. Which means freshman born Jan - Sept can play club ball for extra reps but those born Oct - Dec cannot. It creates some weird dynamics where 1/4 of each grade faces different restrictions than the others.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee