Twitter blowing up about 7th grade rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
It seems this week Extra Inning Softball has been taking a beating by schools and former players about the Class of 2028 rankings coming out in a few weeks. Just looking for conversation buy why does this bother so many? Why now, as middle school kids have been ranked in football and basketball for a few years now. EIS has ranked kids starting in 8th grade starting with the Class of 2022 who is now freshman in college.

I will say EIS needs to get a better handle on the system of ranking kids as you cant have 60 kids be in the Top 20.

Jun 27, 2021
i think because there's so much focus on athlete's mental health right now, many professionals look at this as unneeded, unnecessary nonsense that serves no real purpose other than to put pressure on young athletes
Don't disagree about the mental health aspect. Is this any more pressure then not playing for the right team or going to the right camp because you have to been seen? This is just one more element when other elements get overlooked.

Aug 6, 2013
How do basketball or football rankings work? I'm assuming for football anyway it is based on stats from school ball - correct? My guess would be the same for basketball - or do they take AAU into consideration? The reason for my questions is because for softball it is just totally random. Coaches or PARENTS can nominate their players. However we aren't talking about high school coaches nominating them - we are talking about travel ball coaches. I know not all orgs or coaches believe in the rankings and don't play that game - so now you have many players not even under consideration for the rankings. In my opinion it is a flawed system because there are tons of players not being considered - and/or they are being considered by some random arbitrary info because we now ask - who keep the stats for the nominations submitted for the rankings? It's just so rando. From the bottom to the top.

FYI - my kid was ranked when she played 14U (she is a senior now.....) we moved to VA when she started 16U and her org is one of the ones that doesn't believe in that system so they don't nominate players. I'm sure as hell not nominating my kid so - yeah she hasn't been ranked since, lol. Good thing her future coach doesn't care too much about that - never even was a question.

May 21, 2018
Don't disagree about the mental health aspect. Is this any more pressure then not playing for the right team or going to the right camp because you have to been seen? This is just one more element when other elements get overlooked.
In the grand scheme of things, I think this is pretty easily ignored. My opinion is it's 99% useless, but if people want to spend their time and money on it.....have at it.

Jun 27, 2021
See I will argue with anybody..even Cat Osterman... 😂
Andy you don't hide behind a fake user name. Cat needs to understand the game has changed drastically since she was a player. The message is good but landscape isn't the same in regards to travel, recruiting, social media etc.

Jun 27, 2021
How do basketball or football rankings work? I'm assuming for football anyway it is based on stats from school ball - correct? My guess would be the same for basketball - or do they take AAU into consideration? The reason for my questions is because for softball it is just totally random. Coaches or PARENTS can nominate their players. However we aren't talking about high school coaches nominating them - we are talking about travel ball coaches. I know not all orgs or coaches believe in the rankings and don't play that game - so now you have many players not even under consideration for the rankings. In my opinion it is a flawed system because there are tons of players not being considered - and/or they are being considered by some random arbitrary info because we now ask - who keep the stats for the nominations submitted for the rankings? It's just so rando. From the bottom to the top.

FYI - my kid was ranked when she played 14U (she is a senior now.....) we moved to VA when she started 16U and her org is one of the ones that doesn't believe in that system so they don't nominate players. I'm sure as hell not nominating my kid so - yeah she hasn't been ranked since, lol. Good thing her future coach doesn't care too much about that - never even was a question.
7 v 7 , state all-star games and travel in football and AAU basketball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812