Tryouts: Cattle Call vs. Private?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Here in Atlanta, three big organizations (two of the "Big 3" in the city plus another) just posted an announcement stating they will all three hold tryouts on the same day and have coordinated it such that a girl can attend all three b/c they will be at different times at different parks all close to each other. So, you go to one park from 9-11, another from 12-2, and a third from 3-5.

I'm trying to figure this out. Sounds convenient for parents, but exhausting for girls. And what are the chances they're actually looking to fill spots based on a cattle call? I've never seen a coordinated effort like this before. Anyone else?

After the conclusion of each season, there are only so many available dates for tryouts before the next season, so it stands to reason that organizations will be having tryouts on the same day. It's been that way for years in California and I'd be surprised if it wasn't true in other softball-rich areas, too. The fact that they're openly working together to make things more convenient for families is a pretty good sign and shows that they have not only a healthy amount of respect for one another, but also for the families of hopefuls. You should definitely be encouraged by what they're doing unless, of course, you're with a lower-profile team and feel that you're being treated to leftovers or that none is sincerely looking to add multiple players.

I saw the same post and it was rather interesting that they would do this and honestly I wouldn't bother with it. If you are considering it, you need to clarify the age group because for instance I am pretty sure the 12U tryouts are for the 05 teams. The 2nd yr '04 teams will be filled prior to this, a lot of back door deals will be made and girls going to privates. I can tell you that we have been approached by several large orgs and this is without me contacting anyone on these teams so this is why I am saying these back door deals are happening. I would also keep in mind that if you try to take your kid to 2 of these in 1 day, it must mean you hate her or you are trying to kill her. I am 100% certain my kid would never talk to me again if I did that to her.

It's common to do two or three 2-hour tryouts in a day here (northern CA). It's been that way since 10u.

They do not have to attend all the tryouts, but if they don't because it's "too much", well then travel ball might not be the right call anyway.

^This. I've had the pleasure of watching some of the talent from GA playing this week at a camp that's got several P5 prospects (and a few commits) on the field and they have been WORKING from 9am-6pm in the heat each day with just an hour for lunch. Not everyone is cut out for that, and that's fine.

If DD is not getting a callback from those teams, she's got NO reason to hang her head at all. These athletes from the "Big 3" are some of the best in the country, and very few players are on that level.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
And there's one that always posts they need a short stop or a 50+ mph pitcher. Never anything else. My guess is, you know a true short stop is athletic and you can use them other places on the field if you need to. Keep getting short stops then putting them wherever you want to once you get them on the team. I don't know that for a fact, that's just my guess.

College coaches do the exact same thing, except they want 65+ MPH pitchers....

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for this info. I am the OP and I was just curious because I've never seen this sort of thing before. We are intending to attend and just see what happens. We would be moving from B to A if everything works out, but definitely don't take anything for granted. I think the experience will be good for my DD regardless of outcome.

She will enjoy the experience and I can say two of the three coaching staffs are amazing and I would take my DD from Birmingham to play for them. The only reason I didn't say all three were amazing is I haven't been around one of the teams much. We have picked up with one and I have competed with and talked to the other many times. We are definitely considering talking to both of them for the move to 14's.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The tryouts are 2-3 hours long with at least an hour travel between tryouts. That's a lot less time on the field then the girls will spend on the field in many tournaments. They do not have to attend all the tryouts, but if they don't because it's "too much", well then travel ball might not be the right call anyway.

I will take this post a step farther. If a player is unhappy with their team and actively looking for another team, every tournament is essentially a series of 80 minute tryouts.

The teams in my area do not coordinate like this. In fact, many will schedule tryouts at the same time on purpose, in order to force people to make a decision before they even show up. Personally I like the way these Georgia teams are handling it. I think it can be very helpful to the athletes.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I've had the pleasure of watching some of the talent from GA playing this week at a camp that's got several P5 prospects (and a few commits) on the field and they have been WORKING from 9am-6pm in the heat each day with just an hour for lunch. Not everyone is cut out for that, and that's fine.

If DD is not getting a callback from those teams, she's got NO reason to hang her head at all. These athletes from the "Big 3" are some of the best in the country, and very few players are on that level.

DD is actually at camp at Univ. of Alabama this week (being starstruck at receiving hitting instruction from Leona Lafaele!). They have them working from 9:30 AM-8:30 PM (with lunch/dinner breaks and an ice cream break in between). In Tuscaloosa heat. It is HOT down there! So, if she can handle that for 2 1/2 days, she'll be fine at these tryouts!

Jun 12, 2015
College coaches do the exact same thing, except they want 65+ MPH pitchers....

I'm thinking most girls playing in college are happy to be there and if they're playing center or 2B instead of SS they don't care too much. We've had the discussion with ours - she loves SS but honestly she plays the corners better IMO. She's an absolute beast at 1B. I think if we got a true SS on our team he'd move her to 1B or 3B more often-she's just not as aggressive as she needs to be to be a true SS IMO. She's the strongest we have for that position currently. And I said, hey, you're a pitcher, right? Who cares where you're playing when you're not pitching? We got a new player recently and she's going to give mine a run for her money at SS. She came up from B but she's gaining ground very quickly. She's a tiny little thing, but she's aggressive and talented and highly coachable, pretty much every coach's dream player, including parents who told the coach to put her wherever she's needed. Love that kid.

Jun 12, 2015
I figured the coaches would like that. I imagine they figured she'd play outfield and work her way up. But she's good and our coach is smart, so she's playing 3B when mine is at SS, and SS when mine is pitching. I love that mine has some motivation to work harder.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
DD is actually at camp at Univ. of Alabama this week (being starstruck at receiving hitting instruction from Leona Lafaele!). They have them working from 9:30 AM-8:30 PM (with lunch/dinner breaks and an ice cream break in between). In Tuscaloosa heat. It is HOT down there! So, if she can handle that for 2 1/2 days, she'll be fine at these tryouts!

If she can handle that, she might be okay. I just can't imagine sending mine to 2 or 3 tryouts in 1 day when it's 96 degrees outside like it is right now. It's miserable for me and I am sitting in the shade!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
If she can handle that, she might be okay. I just can't imagine sending mine to 2 or 3 tryouts in 1 day when it's 96 degrees outside like it is right now. It's miserable for me and I am sitting in the shade!

I'm that Mom with a tent, an umbrella, and always scootching to grab every piece of shade. Reapplying sunscreen 3 or more times in a day and still getting burned. I don't know how these kids do it, honestly!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13