Tryout season doesn’t always make sense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Plenty of really good orgs in SOCAL. One of those is the Corona Angels, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say there.
My point was the SS from the Angels would often make a better 3B than the 3B from the SoCal team precisely because the Angels are good.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My point was the SS from the Angels would often make a better 3B than the 3B from the SoCal team precisely because the Angels are good.
The Angels are a SOCAL travel ball team. I'll wager their 3B is good enough for pretty much anyone.

Jun 8, 2016
The Angels are a SOCAL travel ball team. I'll wager their 3B is good enough for pretty much anyone.
Lol..I know that. I watched them play in Norman this summer and there were about 10 P5 schools there.

You are missing my point. That is ok..we can move on.

Oct 4, 2018

Yup, and just about any great player can be converted to 1B in no time, and be better than so many players who have played 1B for a long time.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah, I get that as well. However, I still think it takes a special skill-set to be able to read a ball off the bat, take the correct angles, and have a strong arm. All while having the speed to cover such a large area. I have no issue with recruiting up the middle because at least an OF (CF) is included in that.
My DD freely admits she cannot track a ball in the OF. Played one inning her freshman year in HS. I think she has played more innings at pitcher (10U rec) than she ever played in the OF.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD freely admits she cannot track a ball in the OF. Played one inning her freshman year in HS. I think she has played more innings at pitcher (10U rec) than she ever played in the OF.

We had a coach tell us they were going to turn our 1B/3B daughter into an outfielder. I knew from experience with this coach that what he meant was "we're going to put her in the outfield and hope she does ok".

We went to the field every day for two weeks and worked on fly balls. She picked it up well and is now a really good outfielder. I'm guessing those two weeks of reps is more than many OFs playing today (at her age) have taken in their lives.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I know it doesn't feel that way at the time, but I've always said that one of the most considerate things a coach can do for a player is to cut them at the proper time. One of the least considerate things a coach can do is to keep a player they should have cut. The reasons don't really matter, and it doesn't matter if the player deserved to be cut. If you don't intend to play the kid enough then cut them and let everyone move on. Too many coaches will keep a kid they don't intend to play and force the player/parents to make the decision to switch teams after a wasted season.
🥳👍

Apr 26, 2019
I know it doesn't feel that way at the time, but I've always said that one of the most considerate things a coach can do for a player is to cut them at the proper time. One of the least considerate things a coach can do is to keep a player they should have cut. The reasons don't really matter, and it doesn't matter if the player deserved to be cut. If you don't intend to play the kid enough then cut them and let everyone move on. Too many coaches will keep a kid they don't intend to play and force the player/parents to make the decision to switch teams after a wasted season.
Go where you (your daughter) is valued and appreciated and not just tolerated.

Jun 22, 2019
Same thing happened to my oldest DD and she hit a HR against them the first time they played each other. Her new team won by 1 run & knock the old team out of the tournament. She’s not very vindictive, but she did say on the ride home that it felt good.

My daughter wasn’t the best player on the old team, but wasn’t the worst either. She was by far the most friendly and helped and hustled at every practice. She joined the team in 14U and only played one season with them. I’m still not sure why they didn’t ask her back, but it doesn’t really matter…she just made more friends and the new team was just as successful as the previous.

Shes now 20 and in college & still friends with most of the people on both teams. She stopped playing softball after HS, but still goes to watch a few of the girls playing in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478