Trying to Understand Coach's Motivation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I see this happen from time to time, eg somebody (coach or otherwise) telling a kid to go back and touch home plate. The fact that the OP (possibly) thought that the coach was "calling the kid out" is silly and likely points to a larger issue that they have with the coach..

Nov 18, 2015
I see this happen from time to time, eg somebody (coach or otherwise) telling a kid to go back and touch home plate. The fact that the OP (possibly) thought that the coach was "calling the kid out" is silly and likely points to a larger issue that they have with the coach..
IME, I've always found that calmly calling her name from the 3B coaches box while she's surrounded by screaming teammates and then surreptitiously pointing to home plate is the best way to get her attention and clearly convey the message. I may even include the hand gesture of "letting my fingers do the walking", since everyone is familiar with that logo from the Yellow Pages, right? [sarcasm font /off/]

Aug 25, 2019
I've seen it quite a few times, mostly sliding into home and coming up short. Catcher doesn't apply tag, runner walks off field, I don't make any signal (note to coaches, if it's not obvious runner touched the plate, watch for umpire signal) One time a runner missed the plate, a girl in the other dugout saw it and said to her teammate that runner missed the plate. This was middle school, she never told her coach. After inning i told that girl she was right, always watch runners at home, always tell coach if you see something.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Hmmm🤔 stepping into the dugout... as the coach was yelling out what he was unofficially appealing, officially got his Runner called out 🤷‍♀️ umpires do some interesting things.

However it occurred hopefully the coach learned something from their own actions!

The player never went into the dugout, according to the OP.

The offensive coach was telling the player to return to touch, so there was no appeal from the defense.

The coach didn't do anything wrong here. The umpire blew this one in a number of ways. He went out of his way to be wrong several times just for the opportunity to call her out when he apparently didn't even see the play. Says a lot about this person if they're that quick to take a home run away from a kid.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The player never went into the dugout, according to the OP.
🤷‍♀️ okay however it occurred strange things happen
Do you agree umpires do strange things,?
Have seen umpires call Runners out for things couldn't find in a rule book. Too bad for the rule book aficionados because that kind of stuff happens 🥳

The offensive coach was telling the player to return to touch, so there was no appeal from the defense.
Exactly that is 'the Unofficial appeal' that the coach was blurting out.
'said with humor and sarcasm'.
Apparently you do realize that the coach did something that Drew the attention of the Umpire to recognize that situation and the Umpire jumped on that moment
🤷‍♀️

The coach didn't do anything wrong here. The umpire blew this one in a number of ways
Coach Speaking up ,right, wrong or indifferent...
the umpire's actions may not have happened had the coach not spoke up the way they did.

Think it's important to acknowledge that the situation happened and it was not just because of the Umpire.
Appreciate the opportunity to bring up perspective...again! 😁 🙌👏🙌👏

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478