Trick Plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I saw what I believe were two unusual intentional trick plays by one team and another that we see all the time in the ASC D3 conference tourney this weekend.

The first one was your typical R on 3, Batter walks and continues to 2nd base after reaching 1st. 2 outs tied game. Pitcher attempts to get the runner going to 2nd but does not and runner at 3 trots home for the eventual win. ETBU wins

The other two were I hadn't seen and thought were rare but someone posted a similar play on FB today. Pitcher goes into her wind up ball goes backward towards SS, SS happens to be right there and gets the ball and tags the runner.

The next situation. Same pitcher(in the running for POY). Winning runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Coach calls time out and has a circle conference. Very next pitch, she throws it very high and outside and hits the backstop. Runner from 3rd breaks for home. Catcher seemed like she was ready for this pitch and was breaking for the fence. Tosses to P and gets the runner out. They celebrate like they planned it the whole time. Belhaven wins. Very Risky but pulled it out. They go on to win the Tourney. These two teams will face each other again this week. That pitcher threw over 400 pitches!

Jan 31, 2015
The first one was your typical R on 3, Batter walks and continues to 2nd base after reaching 1st. 2 outs tied game. Pitcher attempts to get the runner going to 2nd but does not and runner at 3 trots home for the eventual win. ETBU wins

Surprisingly, GMU pulled this play off on singles probably around 3 out of 4 times this year that I witnessed, and at least one of them turned out to be the eventual winning run.

I couldn't believe that worked at the DI level. SMH

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Surprisingly, GMU pulled this play off on singles probably around 3 out of 4 times this year that I witnessed, and at least one of them turned out to be the eventual winning run.

I couldn't believe that worked at the DI level. SMH
10U all day every day. College level: Certain teams that have speed, practice this and are aggressive can pull this off against weaker teams.

May 27, 2013
I’ve seen it and it usually happens when the SS or 2B doesn’t cover 2B on a walk and the pitcher never watches the runner while in the circle with the ball to make sure she stops at 1B. You don’t expect it in college because it is kind of a bush-league play that you wouldn’t typically see past 12U, but kudos to the teams that can pull it off at the collegiate level!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The next situation. Same pitcher(in the running for POY). Winning runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Coach calls time out and has a circle conference. Very next pitch, she throws it very high and outside and hits the backstop. Runner from 3rd breaks for home. Catcher seemed like she was ready for this pitch and was breaking for the fence. Tosses to P and gets the runner out. They celebrate like they planned it the whole time. Belhaven wins. Very Risky but pulled it out. They go on to win the Tourney. These two teams will face each other again this week. That pitcher threw over 400 pitches!

Wow. They must have really known what kind of bounce they were going to get to try that with with the game on the line. Tying run on third, maybe, but the winning run? Insane. Is there video of this anywhere?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes there is video. Lemme see if I can find it.
If I was pitching I am not sure I would be too pleased that my coach was pulling this out instead of just trusting me..unless of course she told him she had nothing left.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If I was pitching I am not sure I would be too pleased that my coach was pulling this out instead of just trusting me..unless of course she told him she had nothing left.

Thought about that, but as a player, I'd also want to see if I could get the trick play to work. And on some level, you're trusting your pitcher even more with this kind of purposeful bad pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
Thought about that, but as a player, I'd also want to see if I could get the trick play to work. And on some level, you're trusting your pitcher even more with this kind of purposeful bad pitch.
Fair enough I guess..still not sure I would have liked it though especially in that situation..😂

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Fair enough I guess..still not sure I would have liked it though especially in that situation..😂

I'm guessing it's one of those things they've practiced a lot so the pitcher/catcher were ready for it.

But I agree that it's a wild time to actually call it. I know I don't have the guts to do that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28