Travel vs. School vs. Private Coaching Conflicts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
As a dad of middle schoolers and a TB coach..... my convo with the Middle School coach would go "I'm not having someone who has to go teach history after this and play lacross in college try and fix my DD's swing..... make a line up card and let them play."
Good luck with that..

Might work if your DD is "needed", but for someone who is low on the pole to begin with... Telling the coach he's not going to tell princess to Squish the bug isn't going to fly.

Apr 30, 2018
Regardless of the coach’s qualifications they still deserve to be treated respectfully 🤷🏽‍♂️

totally agree, hard to even find people willing to coach. We haven't agreed with everything going on at School practices , but I've told DD to say thank you and do the best she can. At least they care enough to try and help.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So far it has not been a great start. DD is a third baseman, has great reaction speed, and has been trained to play up almost her whole time in travel ball. During tryouts the coach made a comment that "we have to fix that".

You are way off base on this. For fielding, you need to tell your DD, "Do what the coach says." The coach determines the position of the players. End of story.

By the by, playing up is necessary against teams that have a short game. If the opposing teams don't have a short game, then your DD should play back. In short: You don't have enough information.

Today, they were doing a batting drill. My daughter talked to the coach and said the drill was messing with her swing. And the coach's response was thousands of girls do this drill without issue.

What is the drill? There is no way to know if the drill is or is not good without knowing the specific drill. Your DD should be able to do a wide variety of different drills. [/quote]

DD struggles a bit with adapting to change and does take a little longer to make adjustments some times.
She needs to get better at adapting.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a dad of middle schoolers and a TB coach..... my convo with the Middle School coach would go "I'm not having someone who has to go teach history after this and play lacross in college try and fix my DD's swing..... make a line up card and let them play."

In the OP, the coach was *NOT* trying to fix her swing. He was having her do a drill.

Most good batters can do all kinds of drills without a problem.

Without knowing the drill, you are only guessing whether it is or is not appropriate.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd had this very same conversation two years ago at the MS level during tryouts but the suggestion was that she was a basketball player and not a softball player. First, why is there an assumption that because a person is a teacher that they don't know s...? Also, how does anyone know what the MS school coach did in hs, tb or college? I don't know many MS coaches who run their resume out there for their parents. I don't run my resume out there for the HS parents. Thank goodness my dd teaches/coaches at a school where they can pick between about 70 girls in tryouts for two levels.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In the OP, the coach was *NOT* trying to fix her swing. He was having her do a drill.

Most good batters can do all kinds of drills without a problem.

Without knowing the drill, you are only guessing whether it is or is not appropriate.
The player went to the coach and said this drill is messing with her swing.
The coaches response was #'s of players do this drill.

The point is the player recognized theres something awkward.

The coach did not interact/communicate other than a
'Just DO it' type approach.
Terrible!

Good job of player bringing communication to the coach.
Good thing this coach will only need to be tolerated 2 months.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The player went to the coach and said this drill is messing with her swing.
The coaches response was #'s of players do this drill.

The point is the player recognized theres something awkward.

The coach did not interact/communicate other than a
'Just DO it' type approach.
Terrible!

Good job of player bringing communication to the coach.
Good thing this coach will only need to be tolerated 2 months.
What do you really know about the situation? What has been presented is one side of the conversation. In fact, the coach might have gone into great detail about why hitters do the drill and then said that all hitters do this drill. Also, you don't know any other part of the conversation per what was communicated accurately or at all. Finally, if this is true, then the coach doesn't need to be "tolerated" at all. I am constantly amazed that people will complain about such poor coaching and then tell their child to go play for the coach. REMOVE THE PLAYER FROM THE TEAM!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478