Travel vs. School vs. Private Coaching Conflicts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2023
I apologize if I appear that I was arguing. I am not trying to argue just merely stating an opinion.

I personally do not do wrist snaps. When I think about whether I want to incorporate a drill or not, I usually think through this. Can I find any high-level coaches or high-level athletes who do the drill? With wrist snaps, I have not been able to find any high-level throwers who incorporate them into their practice, nor any higher level throwing coaches. I have never seen a professional baseball player do them.
The comparison you're offering is at the far opposite end of learning. That's a can of worms comparing high-end coaches to each other.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I always felt wrist snaps were useless and senseless to me but I was pretty new and dumb to this stupid game of girls fastpitch. Anna was 12, we were at a camp at USC Upstate, it was in the low to mid twenties that day so the second half of the camp the pitchers were in the mens’s basketball gymnasium.

Rick Pauly was the pitching coach then, the Rick Pauly! I was standing 35/40 feet from him when he said “do not spend another minute of your life doing wrist snaps….overhand or underhand, they’re completely useless”. That’s all I needed to hear!

May 27, 2013
Sure thing man. I have no issue in general except when a person is faking it to try come off as somebody else.

I mean this:

Vs

Come on man…

I will give you props though if you login as @Bullseye and start arguing with yourself since you..err @Bullseye always claim that is what I do 😉
Hmmm….I was actually thinking this was somebody else…but same idea.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD

and 1:47 point of video below:

The disconnect you and the video example you provided, is not about full throwing arm motion... it's all about grip and spin feel for how it comes off the fingers. Everyone knows you don't throw like that, it's about knowing feel and grip tension for getting proper ball rotation and proper grip of the softball...Then you can go to different throwing levels/true mechanics of throwing and what you are talking about. This video pretends to compare this to producing bad mechanics, and speaks like it's a drill to teach throwing... that wrist drill has nothing to do with showing one how to throw with their arm, it's one area of the bigger picture/final product.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Oh no..not again 😂

This is totally different. Last time we were talking about doing them underhand. :)

Edit: And after taking a couple busy weeks off from the board, I guess I didn't realize I was talking to the same person. I never would've responded had I known.

Apr 14, 2022
My DD naturally tries to please everyone. Someone had her do wrist flips in 3rd grade took until 5th grade to correct.

With pitching I had to make a standing rule with one coach. Single point of instruction from the pitching coach. If a coach has an issue they or I will tell the coach. She will address in a lesson.

I find most coaches mean well, but often gravitate to the symptom and not the disease.

Jul 14, 2018
So, while I don't disagree that most recruiting ignores school ball, the reps you get certainly help the travel season.

Just had this conversation with our team this morning. TB practices in February are not to prepare our players for June. It’s to get them ready to shine in HS and get maximum playing time so that they’re in midseason form when we reassemble after school is over.

Even if we have to work around the wrist flicks and downward swing paths some HS coaches insist on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2022
Agree that the reps make a huge difference. We play a hs schedule that faces many future collegiate pitchers and she will hit typically 5-6 days a week during high school season off of some kind of live front toss or machine mixture. The last 2 yrs she has come into summer seeing the ball really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk