Travel Team Scrimmage vs HS Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
So my game was canceled today so I told the girls we will practice. One girl texts me that since the game is canceled she will go to her travel teams scrimmage. If we had a game she says she would come. Okay I know she is in a no win situation. How would you respond to her and would you start her in the next HS game over players who come to practice? Just looking for opinions/advice!

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I can only speak from our experience. During HS season, HS is #1. During TB season, TB is #1. Both coaches are talked to ahead of time and no problems have came about. Honestly, both are just happy DD is playing nearly year round.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So my game was canceled today so I told the girls we will practice. One girl texts me that since the game is canceled she will go to her travel teams scrimmage. If we had a game she says she would come. Okay I know she is in a no win situation. How would you respond to her and would you start her in the next HS game over players who come to practice? Just looking for opinions/advice!

I suspect this kid is one of your more important players, or you wouldn't be asking this question. If you have a team policy announced up front that attending practice is a requirement to playing, I would sit her for at least a portion of the next game. She may be in a "no win situation", but choices have consequences. It doesn't need to be characterized as punishment, just giving another kid who has worked hard a chance to start.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Did you have rules in place that you gave everyone before the season? If not, it's difficult to punish a player - even though I personally think she should have gone to your practice. And that's speaking as a travel ball coach.

If not, you'll need to state that rule now, and what the consequences are.

This is why, as much as people complain about it, it's good to have the "no outside teams" rule for HS sports. It prevents these sorts of conflicts. The HS season is short. If you want to play on your HS team it should be the focus and the priority. Otherwise, just don't play on it - which is also a valid choice and one more high-level players are starting to make in many sports.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I can only speak from our experience. During HS season, HS is #1. During TB season, TB is #1. Both coaches are talked to ahead of time and no problems have came about. Honestly, both are just happy DD is playing nearly year round.

I agree 100%!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

During our HS season (Fall) our TB teams shut down, so I am surprised both are running at the same time. If I was her HS coach I would tell her no TB during HS season, just like there is no HS softball during TB season.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Political concerns aside and looking at what is best for the player standpoint she will probably get more out of any competition than a practice especially if she is a pitcher or a catcher. However, I would be inclined to hold to her to the commitment to the HS team. That said you must be prepared for her reaction whatever it may be. If you decide to not start or bench her for the next game what do you do if she feels it is of little consequence? Had a similar situation with my DD her Sophomore year of HS when the coach threatened not to pitch her the day of a big game. She called his hand, said she understood his decision and proceeded to take off her cleats.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What makes that scrimmage more important, than saying "I want to go to grandma's party?" It would not be an excused absence, for me. This example is why many state HS organizations, don't even allow a HS player to go to TB practice.

Sep 29, 2014
The best thing obviously is to spell things out BEFORE the season starts... here it is easy if you play HS you can not play TB during the season. I think the most reasonable response is probably to sit her the first few innings for a girl that did practice; now as the season progresses and games become more import or even playoffs your decisions become harder. On the other hand one of the first sentences in the handouts we got from the coach at the beginning of the season was the BEST nine girls will start and play varsity...period, so there is that.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What makes that scrimmage more important, than saying "I want to go to grandma's party?" It would not be an excused absence, for me. This example is why many state HS organizations, don't even allow a HS player to go to TB practice.

They do not allow it because they feel that HS coaches are unable to set expectations and hold players accountable?