Travel/Rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
Amen to that! If it were really about the players and not a plastic trophy, Sundays would be round-robins that pitted 123, 456, 789, etc. What a wasted opportunity every weekend to put teams on the field that have similar skill levels to create more competitive games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS THIS THIS

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
What rules did it violate? This was 7-8 years ago and as long as tryouts were held for the team there was no violation. Every LL in our district had the same exact set up. Once on the team there were separate fees paid for the tournaments by the parents on those teams. We had a separate account for those teams, as well. No LL funds were used to support those teams. Only thing was you had to play for our LL to play on the in-house travel team. Both baseball and softball did it in the District. In-house meaning made up of only our LL players. The teams also had their own BOD under a different org name.

The girls on the team played on the rec teams as well and played the full rec schedule. The travel team tourneys were on the weekends and the rec games were during the week. I’m sure if it was an issue our District Administrator would have shut it down in a heartbeat. Our LL, as well as many others, still have this kind of team.
I think the rules vary from state to state. If you wanted to play on an All-Star team and in the all-star tournaments, you could not practice together until the season was over. And if you played in 2 tournaments during rec season, you were not eligible for all-star teams. That's how our state works. But other states allow it and when we played in our state all-star tourney, we were fine. But when we went to a world series in another state - all of those teams had travel girls on them because it was allowed. Kind of annoying that rules were different.

May 27, 2013
I think the rules vary from state to state. If you wanted to play on an All-Star team and in the all-star tournaments, you could not practice together until the season was over. And if you played in 2 tournaments during rec season, you were not eligible for all-star teams. That's how our state works. But other states allow it and when we played in our state all-star tourney, we were fine. But when we went to a world series in another state - all of those teams had travel girls on them because it was allowed. Kind of annoying that rules were different.

Correct - you couldn’t practice/play together as the “All-Star” team sponsored by your LL once the team was selected for that specific season (usually after the regular rec schedule ended). However, our “travel team” was made up of girls who tried out and were ranked for All-Stars/travel from the previous years’ season (their travel season started in the fall and ended in the spring) so essentially this year’s All-Star team might not be composed of the same girls (though most were the same players).

Our “travel team” (not sponsored by the LL) went dark once the current year’s All-Star team was selected. Essentially, no rules were broken if done this way.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Lately I’ve seen a bunch of new organizations pop up on Facebook who are advertising themselves as “Travel Rec” or “Rec Travel” programs.

Interesting marketing ploy—curious what it means.

Maybe a rec team that plays some local tournaments?
Redeemer,

I think there is a niche for this type of program to fill IF that’s what they’re doing.

Some Families don’t want to commit all the time or can’t afford to sign on for “Full travel ball” for their child. Playing 3-4 tournaments a summer, along with league games would be more affordable and less time consuming and still give the kids a chance to play other teams in their areas.

Probably need to get on the phone and have a conversation with the group to see where they are going with it though.

Jun 8, 2016
My 6 YO DS's coach-pitch baseball rec team played a few local tournaments last spring and is going to this spring as well. They didn't do that well, but the kids enjoyed themselves. My DS was excited to get to play all day like his big sister does..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478