Tournament during HS Season??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
...If I am varsity coach, I would say GO PLAY. GO GET BETTER, GO HIT GO BE A CATCHER FIRST SHORT OUTFIELD. Practice twice a day if YOU WANT TO...

No, you wouldn't. Unless, of course, you wanted your varsity team to disappear. Nearly every school district I've ever heard of will rule a player ineligible if she plays with a non-scholastic team during the scholastic season. School coaches don't make the rules. As much as I want my girls to get better on their own, I do not want any hassles from the district over eligibility, and that's only at MS level.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
No, you wouldn't. Unless, of course, you wanted your varsity team to disappear. Nearly every school district I've ever heard of will rule a player ineligible if she plays with a non-scholastic team during the scholastic season. School coaches don't make the rules. As much as I want my girls to get better on their own, I do not want any hassles from the district over eligibility, and that's only at MS level.
We do not have that rule here in Oregon.

I am assuming that you mean of the same sport? Lots of girls play tournament volleyball year round, or some other sport at the same time of another.

I would of course use common sense, in that my top varsity players would not, but on the jv level, with fundamentals and play time is the key, YES I WOULD. last year jv had like 11 games. travel ball had 30. Go play on weekends if you want. practice twice a day a few days a week.

It is about common sense, nothing is an absolute.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We do not have that rule here in Oregon.

I am assuming that you mean of the same sport? Lots of girls play tournament volleyball year round, or some other sport at the same time of another.

I would of course use common sense, in that my top varsity players would not, but on the jv level, with fundamentals and play time is the key, YES I WOULD. last year jv had like 11 games. travel ball had 30. Go play on weekends if you want. practice twice a day a few days a week.

It is about common sense, nothing is an absolute.

Look at it this way, if you're not good enough to play varsity, do you really think those JV players are going to play on a travel team?

I'm glad my state had the rules to keep players locked in HS sports during the season. Cause I'd been the first one to have those girls worn out from 3-5 HS games/practices during the week , and we go play 5-9 games on Saturday-Sunday in travel.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Look at it this way, if you're not good enough to play varsity, do you really think those JV players are going to play on a travel team?

In our district there is a girl that pitched JV as a freshman. She will verbal to a Div I school this coming year. She could not get circle time because the varsity pitcher is already signed to a Div I team. To answer your question, yes. In 2-3 schools in our Metro girls can be on JV and be playing at extremely high levels(just underclassman) in TB. Of course at other schools in our Metro if you can throw and catch you are on varsity.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

I'm glad my state had the rules to keep players locked in HS sports during the season. Cause I'd been the first one to have those girls worn out from 3-5 HS games/practices during the week , and we go play 5-9 games on Saturday-Sunday in travel.

Of course they are, 14u would be a prime example. the junior league world champions, were ALL 9th graders.

Quote from Oregon rules ". Q. May a high school student who is a member of a high school team also compete on a non-school, organized athletic team or as an unattached individual in that sport during the Association Year?

A. Yes."

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In our district there is a girl that pitched JV as a freshman. She will verbal to a Div I school this coming year. She could not get circle time because the varsity pitcher is already signed to a Div I team. To answer your question, yes. In 2-3 schools in our Metro girls can be on JV and be playing at extremely high levels(just underclassman) in TB. Of course at other schools in our Metro if you can throw and catch you are on varsity.

How many HS games do you play in a season?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Of course they are, 14u would be a prime example. the junior league world champions, were ALL 9th graders.

My math isn't what it use to be, but I'd assume most 14u teams are 8-9th graders. lol

I know things are done different abroad, in the south we take HS sports VERY serious, almost like a cult. The "no independent play" rule is there to protect the athlete, from overuse. My DD's high school played 50+ games for four years between mid March to mid May, I'm not sure it would be physically and safely possible to play travel in that schedule too.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
My math isn't what it use to be, but I'd assume most 14u teams are 8-9th graders. lol

I know things are done different abroad, in the south we take HS sports VERY serious, almost like a cult. The "no independent play" rule is there to protect the athlete, from overuse. My DD's high school played 50+ games for four years between mid March to mid May, I'm not sure it would be physically and safely possible to play travel in that schedule too.

wow 50 games? No our school at varsity only will about 14 games, with jv like last year was 8.