Tournament during HS Season??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think it depends on the HS, the player/parents, and the TB coach. There are some school programs in this country where softball is so wretched that the TB kids want to practice and play with their TB teams, whereas at really competitive high schools, I think most players are focusing on that rather than TB. Most 16U and 18U TB coaches in this area don't schedule tournaments during HS season, but I do think they will still practice once a week since PIAA does not forbid it. There are some HS coaches here that forbid their players from practicing/playing with the TB teams regardless of the state rules, whereas others expect the use of good judgment. I also think it is a courtesy that a TB coach should extend to the HS coach to not interfere with their season and minimize the risk of injury.

What do your players and parents think? Are a lot playing weekend tournaments? 16U and 18U tournaments are pretty hard to find this time of year around here.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
I think if the shoe was on the other foot and the HS coach was having an "All out practice" on a Friday before their "ALPHABET" National Tournament they would be crying foul as well.

I believe this very situation is why our state prohibits games other than HS from being played.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Coach T,

I am assuming it is a Travel Ball tournament...that is a NO NO here in Wisconsin...they can practice with their summer team but no games!

I agree with you, it is HS season and they need a break.

I am not an expert on the subject, but I am pretty sure there are high school tournaments in some parts of the country.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Coach T,

I am assuming it is a Travel Ball tournament...that is a NO NO here in Wisconsin...they can practice with their summer team but no games!

I am not an expert on the subject, but I am pretty sure there are high school tournaments in some parts of the country.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
HS plays 3 games a week and practices the other days. It goes Mon-Sat

If you know a couple of your girls are playing TB that weekend you could give them a "light" day on a practice day. No one said that the day off has to come from the TB coach. If you are looking out in the best interest of your team as a whole, and the player themselves then you also should realize when they are close to burnout and give everyone a little break. Especially if TB coach is refusing to do so. Be the bigger person and better coach than he/she, and look out for the kids.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Not arguing, but be careful what you wish for.

There are grumblings around here that HS interferes with Travel teams. Top level travel teams have thrown around the idea of making the players choose HS or Travel. Their logic is that it takes too long to try to catch up when they finally get the players in May.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

There are grumblings around here that HS interferes with Travel teams. Top level travel teams have thrown around the idea of making the players choose HS or Travel. Their logic is that it takes too long to try to catch up when they finally get the players in May.

Wow, around here the top HS Pitchers are the same ones we see during the Summer, so there is no "catching up". We are 18's and we don't start until the end of the HS Season, first Tournament is the very end of May.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We played many a night during the week, practice the others, played 3-5 weekend HS 2 day tournaments. It's not for everyone, gotta have enough pitchers to go around, enough good subs for rotation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

This has been happening for quite a while in NE Florida where TB teams will travel to south Georgia to play in tournaments during the Florida HS season. I think the rules, association or team that prevent players from playing TB during HS season are more about coaches ego and keeping HS softball relevant than anything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore