Totally Random Ranting - MLB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Why a major leaguer doesn't hustle on routine infield ground balls (or pop flies) because the odds of their being an error is less than 1 in 100. Why risk an injury or waste energy that may be needed later?

Perfect pitches go by major league hitters, sometimes, because major league pitchers fooled them.

I think you've nailed the reasons. They don't hustle in situations where it rarely matters.

As far as watching perfect pitchers, to them, it wasn't perfect. They were guessing something else. MLB batters are striking out about 1 in 5 AB nowadays. When the pitchers are that good (I know some would say the hitters are just that bad), you're going to start guessing and you're going to get fooled.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
MLB players get paid too much for being doped up, out of shape, spoiled brats.. Fine their sorry asses for being filthy pigs in the dugout (I dont need to see them spit and eat their boogers in HD), for thinking bench clearing fights are ok, and for overall being sorry arse role models... that whole sport (well mostly ALL of professional sports) is nothing but a money making scam.....

Jun 11, 2013
If you want to argue that these guys are over paid that's fine. If you want to say they don't always hustle, I'll agree that some don't for various reasons. However, these guys are just amazing. To actually hit a 90+ mph pitch with the movement these pitchers have on the ball is amazing. Not to mention the fielding that these guys do. The ground the OF's cover is amazing, the speed at which the middle infielders turn a double play is mind boggling.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
If you want to argue that these guys are over paid that's fine. If you want to say they don't always hustle, I'll agree that some don't for various reasons. However, these guys are just amazing. To actually hit a 90+ mph pitch with the movement these pitchers have on the ball is amazing. Not to mention the fielding that these guys do. The ground the OF's cover is amazing, the speed at which the middle infielders turn a double play is mind boggling.

I agree. A few years back, I went to an MLB game after about six weeks of watching youth baseball. There was a 6-3 play. As the ball streaked through the air towards first I muttered a prayer to the first baseman to "catch it!". Of course he caught it. DH chuckled and reminded me to re-calibrate my expectations. These guys are unbelievable. Pure poetry. They are paid so much because they can do things that very very very few human beings can do. They are being paid for their rarity.

I don't like watching baseball on TV because it's hard to judge the speed at which the game is being played - same with any sport. A friend of mine went to a Broncos game one evening - he sat on the 50 yard line, just a few rows up. He came away from the game in shock - he had never seen such speed and power; he wondered how it is that every single one of those guys isn't in the hospital.

I like watching college baseball and minor league ball. You see a lot more hustle-up type plays that help make the game unpredictable and fun to watch. Plus you really can't beat 50 cent hot-dog days at the local AAA park!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The box scores in MLB have changed quite a bit over the years. In olden times, the box scores would include things like put outs, etc. Finally, people realized the quality of players was so high that the great plays of yore were now completely routine.

Even in D1 softball, outfielders will routinely make what would be an absolutely earth-shattering play in most levels of TB.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I agree. A few years back, I went to an MLB game after about six weeks of watching youth baseball. There was a 6-3 play. As the ball streaked through the air towards first I muttered a prayer to the first baseman to "catch it!". Of course he caught it. DH chuckled and reminded me to re-calibrate my expectations. These guys are unbelievable. Pure poetry. They are paid so much because they can do things that very very very few human beings can do. They are being paid for their rarity.

In DS's game yesterday, ground ball to freshman 3B, who throws it to 1B, not a rainbow but with a good amount of loft, and then it almost falls short of the mark. I mutter under my breath "Just throw the damn ball!" Thought about it for a second, then looked at my wife and said, "I guess I get spoiled watching Manny Machado every night."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore