Totally Random Ranting - MLB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
1) Why do they slow down defeated before they get to first?

2) Why do they hesitate after hits (I don't care if they go outfield - every ms counts right??)???

3) They really do watch the perfect pitches go right by them. I have seen countless opportunities, and at same AB, they don't see it again. Sigh.

They get paid way too much. MLSoftball would at least see them:

1) Fighting for that base hit

2) Running after contact

3) Nailing that perfect pitch.

Right???

--signed nutty softball mom (with head in clouds LOL) :)

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
After the WCWS is over in June and I go back to watching baseball, I am amazed if I can stay awake through a whole game!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Running hard to first on a routine out when making $15 million a year is too much risk to a leg injury. They have already made it to the show, why keep working hard now.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Different game entirely. Running as fast as possible for 90 feet is way too much for out of shape baseball players whereas softball athletes know how to run hard all the way between 60 foot bases. The extra distance does make a difference!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
At this point it is obligatory for some old timer to bring up Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose.

To be fair, his style of play, such as running to first on a walk, was considered quite unusual even back then. His nickname was given to him as an insult, but he wore it as a badge of pride. He also outhit all his detractors.

Jun 7, 2013
At this point it is obligatory for some old timer to bring up Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose.

To be fair, his style of play, such as running to first on a walk, was considered quite unusual even back then. His nickname was given to him as an insult, but he wore it as a badge of pride. He also outhit all his detractors.

And out gambled them, too!!!

Jun 7, 2013
While I rarely watch MLB now that my sport is fastpitch softball, I do believe some balancing is in order.

Why a major leaguer doesn't hustle on routine infield ground balls (or pop flies) because the odds of their being an error is less than 1 in 100. Why risk an injury or waste energy that may be needed later?

Perfect pitches go by major league hitters, sometimes, because major league pitchers fooled them.

Are they paid way too much. They don't think so!

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ

When I coached 8U and 10U REC ball, I'd play clips of Charlie Hustle to the girls as an example of great hustle and effort.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
And out gambled them, too!!!

There is a great story from Pete Rose's book "My Prison Without Walls" involving softball and gambling.

When Pete was young, he and his father would often go to the race tracks with the softball team manager, Dud Zimmer, and his son Don Zimmer. Make a day of softball and betting.

One day Pete gets a call from his old softball teammate, Don. Dud is in the hospital in Cincy, on his deathbed. Could Pete please come over to say goodbye?

When Pete gets there, Dud motions Don and Pete to come over for a private talk, and whispers "tomorrow we go to the track". So, Pete Rose and Don Zimmer snuck Dud Zimmer out of the hospital for one last day at the track. The doctors and nurses were angry, but at least Dud was able to die a happy man a few days later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore