Topspin Vs Bulletspin, Which is Faster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I guess this is where you and i have a difference of opinion. I don't know Sarah, I don't know what's she's throwing in this clip or what she's demonstrating. And as blasphemous as it is to have any thing to say about a "high level pitcher" I would say that if she whipped her elbow MORE, the bullet spin would disappear. Personally, I teach 6/12 rotation along with the mechanics, not separately because I believe they go hand in hand. I have had many students who had bullet spin that lost it when they were instructed to whip or snap their elbow harder at the release. When done, the wrist and the fingers follow naturally. I don't know how that effects IR but it's what do in my lessons and what I do personally.

I realize there are people who will say "how can one be critical of Sarah Pauly, she's one of the best!!" And I agree with those people, she is one of the best. But even the best sometimes do things they shouldn't. Often, they are good DESPITE what they do, not because of it. There's a lot of examples of this. I know my glove hand doesn't stay directly on top of my leg, and it was pointed out the other day. And God forbid anyone do anything "wrong" with their feet!!!

Again though, I'm saying this blind because I don't know what Sarah is doing here. And it may just be a difference of opinion but I get pitchers to exaggerate their elbow whip and it usually straightens bullet spin out... this is assuming that there isn't another factor in why the bullet spin occurs.

Bill

Bill, I know this is an old post ... but you have been relatively consistent over time in advocating elbow snap. Can you share how you go about getting pitchers to improve their elbow snap?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I just read this entire post and I don't have a clue what is right or what to tell my dd. Maybe I'll tell her to switch to baseball or golf :ROFLMAO:

I was just looking at a ‘17 thread on hip snap and couldn’t believe how much my understanding and teaching has changed in a year! The one the I know, is that the more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478