Too many pitchers!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We had 5 this summer and no one was happy. I'm thinking 2 or 3, depending on how intense your season is. DD will be a junior this year, probably playing for the Gold team but ,as best, probably their 3rd pitcher. At 5'-2",120 she's not as big and strong as a lot of kids, so I'm wondering if it's time to forget about pitching (throws high 50s at best) and concentrate more on middle IF and OF which she has proven to be good at

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD made the switch from pitching after her freshman year. DD is all of 5'4''ish 115lbs #2 pitcher. DD wanted to play in college and she didn't see herself pitching in college. Also the hitters were happy to help make that decision easier for her. DD felt her time would be best served working on her fielding and hitting. That decision paid off. I felt if DD would have stuck with pitching because of the amount of time devoted to practice her goal wouldn't have become reality. This was her decision and not saying this is what your DD should do. Just explaining DD's reason of the switch.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
DD made the switch from pitching after her freshman year. DD is all of 5'4''ish 115lbs #2 pitcher. DD wanted to play in college and she didn't see herself pitching in college. Also the hitters were happy to help make that decision easier for her. DD felt her time would be best served working on her fielding and hitting. That decision paid off. I felt if DD would have stuck with pitching because of the amount of time devoted to practice her goal wouldn't have become reality. This was her decision and not saying this is what your DD should do. Just explaining DD's reason of the switch.

Well my friend... Not only did the BullDogz give the Gators a bus ticket... but they used a very effective lefty... 5'3". They had anther big one 6' 70mph'er, and C.W. the Spinster :cool:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Size had nothing to do with her decision. Having a plan B did.
Plus my DD wanted to play every game and every inning.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2015
Our last team had 3 pitchers and then they brought on a fourth, which did not work out so well. They have four again this season and we are rethinking our options. My daughter 5'4" and she does pretty well. She's a strong girl and is throwing around 60mph, but has some great movement. I know she could throw faster if she put a bit more effort into it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Well my friend... Not only did the BullDogz give the Gators a bus ticket... but they used a very effective lefty... 5'3". They had anther big one 6' 70mph'er, and C.W. the Spinster :cool:

Size had nothing to do with her decision. Being realistic. Talent at the pitching position and the amount of time it would take to maintain the talent, opposed to the time better spent else where. For my DD her decision was the correct decision for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sostrejr2002