Too late ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
Um, really? Gaffin has pitched 4 games in your stat box. Gabriel has pitched 13. I know you are a pitcher's dad, so you should be able to extrapolate equivalent stats if Gaffin were to actually throw as many games..... 2-1 vs 11-3.... Not to mention, Gaffin generally comes in, in relief and is a different look than the other pitchers. If she were to throw whole games, I think her stats would be considerably different.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
Gaffin is not their best pitcher. She is a good pitching option, but Erin Gabriel is, undoubtedly, their best pitcher.

I think "undoubtedly" is pushing it. Gabriel's good, but can get hit hard when she's off. Gabriel pitches more innings, but from what I've seen Rainey seems to be more effective in short outings. It's like comparing Clayton Kershaw to Mariano Riveria. They both pitch, but have different roles so comparing the two is going to be more subjective than objective. We just might need to agree to disagree on this one.

and you read that wrong - gaffin has four decisions, pitched 17 times. ERA almost a full run in favor for Gaffin, WHIP virtually the same, opponents BA virtually the same.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Um, really? Gaffin has pitched 4 games in your stat box. Gabriel has pitched 13. I know you are a pitcher's dad, so you should be able to extrapolate equivalent stats if Gaffin were to actually throw as many games..... 2-1 vs 11-3.... Not to mention, Gaffin generally comes in, in relief and is a different look than the other pitchers. If she were to throw whole games, I think her stats would be considerably different.

I think you are confusing decisions with appearances. Look at the number of IP. To your point about complete games, Gabriel seems weak in her role as a front line pitcher.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Haven't looked at the stats to figure it out, but who's getting the innings against the tough conference opponents tells you who the coaching staff thinks are the best pitchers.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Haven't looked at the stats to figure it out, but who's getting the innings against the tough conference opponents tells you who the coaching staff thinks are the best pitchers.

Gaffin is the only one that has been consistently successful against SEC teams. Gabriel's stats are trending downward as she rides successful outings in the early season against powerhouse teams like Detroit, Indiana State, Illinois State, etc. Her only noteworthy appearance was an outing in mid-February vs #8 FSU. In some of her recent wins she has only gone 4 innings and Gaffin or another pitcher has come in to save her bacon.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is never too late, but you need to decide if you and your DD are willing to put in the time and effort to do it right, because if you are only going to do it half-hearted, it is probably not worth trying. It may also mean taking a step-back in the level TB you are playing. If she is playing A-level ball now, she may want to move down to a B-level team in order to get some circle time while she is learning.

I cannot remember the players name, but I remember the announcers of a D1 college softball game I was watching talking about the pitcher. She had never pitched growing up, but her HS team did not have a pitcher, so she learned how when she was a junior and ended up going to a JUCO as a pitcher, then she transferred to a major D1 after two years.

Mar 1, 2015
Point i was trying to make to original poster was that if a player recruited as An outfielder can be a successful pitcher at a major SEC school, then it's not too late for your kid.

Yes, Gaffin pitched in high school and probably travel but she wasn't at that level to attract attention then. But she works hard, has tons of talent, has great coaches and listens to what they tell her. Now she has gone from overlooked high school/TB pitcher to key component of perenial contender.

Work, listen, repeat.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Something I have mentioned several times: in the 2012 Olympics, there were 4 athletes who were Wisconsin alumni who participated in sports they took up in college. (2 men's rowers (twins), 1 woman's rower and 1 woman triathlete.

Also, my kids had friends from HS who got D1 scholarships in sports they started as HS sophomores: one was football at Pitt, the other woman's rowing at Wisconsin.

Freshman in HS may not be too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore