Tony Gwynn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with this as a general statement, but Gwynn made a compelling argument against it. He hit almost .400 in 260 career at bats against Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, and Tom Glavine. I just think the dude is an outlier. He hit almost .400 against Curt Schilling and in 45 at bats Pedro Martinez never struck him out. He hit .315 off Pedro.

I think he could have hit todays middle relievers.
I'm interested in his stats against Rob Dibble. He'd be a good match to the modern reliever. I remember reading a story IIRC, Will Clarke talked to Gwynn about how Gwynn approached hitting Dibble. After making those suggested adjustments, Clarke had much better success against Dibble.

Oct 26, 2019
I'm interested in his stats against Rob Dibble. He'd be a good match to the modern reliever. I remember reading a story IIRC, Will Clarke talked to Gwynn about how Gwynn approached hitting Dibble. After making those suggested adjustments, Clarke had much better success against Dibble.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I guess in the last 20 years Ichiro was sort of similar but he also didn't come up through the US minor leagues

Ichiro hit some of the weakest hits with many infield hits. For most of his career he did that.

He also hit a line drive over the center field head, to this day is one of hardest hit balls I’ve seen. It was smoking.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ichiro 450 career infield hits.

And it's important to note that everyone says Ichiro could've easily been a 20+ HR per year player, a guy with a lot more power than he showed, and an overall much more valuable hitter, but he chose to get all those empty singles because he was padding his hit stats.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Here are the pitchers Gwynn performed the worst against. Interesting that Randy Johnson really had his number in a remarkably small sample.

Nolan Ryan struck Gwynn out 9 times, the most of any pitcher. Gwynn did hit .302 against him, but with a .328 OBP and .333 SLG, so overall not very good.

1642106098387.png

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
And it's important to note that everyone says Ichiro could've easily been a 20+ HR per year player, a guy with a lot more power than he showed, and an overall much more valuable hitter, but he chose to get all those empty singles because he was padding his hit stats.

Yes, although since I watched him throughout his career. He was intentionally walked many, many times with the game on the line.

Nov 16, 2017
Yes, although since I watched him throughout his career. He was intentionally walked many, many times with the game on the line.
Modern baseball hitting wins you regular season games. Old school high average guys wins you playoff games.

1. Playoff pitching is the best of the best. Reg season it is easier to go yard on not so much.

To your point above, better to walk Ichiro than have him bust a single with a runner on second to score a game winner. Walk him, put the force on and take your chances with whoever.

I am still and will always be in the camp of swing for a single and if you get a homer then great. If you swing for a homer most of the time you will be walking back to the dugout. A lot of MLB guys just don't care how many SO they have. Which is dumb. Runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, even a long fly helps your team. SO gets you nowhere.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Modern baseball hitting wins you regular season games. Old school high average guys wins you playoff games.

1. Playoff pitching is the best of the best. Reg season it is easier to go yard on not so much.

To your point above, better to walk Ichiro than have him bust a single with a runner on second to score a game winner. Walk him, put the force on and take your chances with whoever.

I am still and will always be in the camp of swing for a single and if you get a homer then great. If you swing for a homer most of the time you will be walking back to the dugout. A lot of MLB guys just don't care how many SO they have. Which is dumb. Runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, even a long fly helps your team. SO gets you nowhere.

Of course since the Mariners are my team, I watched Ichiro get intentional walked many, many times. Late in the game, protecting a lead.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

To put a finer point on it, swing for solid contact on the ball every time. Put the bat where the ball actually is, not where you'd like it to be. Do that, and the defense will be lucky to hold you to a single.

You're 100% correct about the strike outs. A ball in play makes the defense get an out. A strike out is a worthless AB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802