Tony Gwynn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with this as a general statement, but Gwynn made a compelling argument against it. He hit almost .400 in 260 career at bats against Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, and Tom Glavine. I just think the dude is an outlier. He hit almost .400 against Curt Schilling and in 45 at bats Pedro Martinez never struck him out. He hit .315 off Pedro.

I think he could have hit todays middle relievers.
I'm interested in his stats against Rob Dibble. He'd be a good match to the modern reliever. I remember reading a story IIRC, Will Clarke talked to Gwynn about how Gwynn approached hitting Dibble. After making those suggested adjustments, Clarke had much better success against Dibble.

Oct 26, 2019
I'm interested in his stats against Rob Dibble. He'd be a good match to the modern reliever. I remember reading a story IIRC, Will Clarke talked to Gwynn about how Gwynn approached hitting Dibble. After making those suggested adjustments, Clarke had much better success against Dibble.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I guess in the last 20 years Ichiro was sort of similar but he also didn't come up through the US minor leagues

Ichiro hit some of the weakest hits with many infield hits. For most of his career he did that.

He also hit a line drive over the center field head, to this day is one of hardest hit balls I’ve seen. It was smoking.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ichiro 450 career infield hits.

And it's important to note that everyone says Ichiro could've easily been a 20+ HR per year player, a guy with a lot more power than he showed, and an overall much more valuable hitter, but he chose to get all those empty singles because he was padding his hit stats.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Here are the pitchers Gwynn performed the worst against. Interesting that Randy Johnson really had his number in a remarkably small sample.

Nolan Ryan struck Gwynn out 9 times, the most of any pitcher. Gwynn did hit .302 against him, but with a .328 OBP and .333 SLG, so overall not very good.

1642106098387.png

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
And it's important to note that everyone says Ichiro could've easily been a 20+ HR per year player, a guy with a lot more power than he showed, and an overall much more valuable hitter, but he chose to get all those empty singles because he was padding his hit stats.

Yes, although since I watched him throughout his career. He was intentionally walked many, many times with the game on the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bperry