Tony Gwynn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017

I must be missing something. What about this swing style is unique. I don’t see a slapper. I see a shorter/simpler swing designed to make hard contact and not get out. Just cause the dude didn’t hit home runs doesn’t make him a slapper.

Poor, Tony 🤣

Jun 8, 2016
Boggs, Gwynn's contemporary, supposedly could put on a HR show in BP but chose ( I believe he is quoted as saying as much) to not sacrifice his average at all for power. I do think one year (cannot remember the year) that just to show he could do it, he hit 20 something HR (and still had a high average).

Oct 26, 2019
If he hit the same way he would have similar success (maybe not quite as high an average but still higher than everybody else). I meant would they have said in Rookie ball, Tony we need you to hit for more power...
This reminds me of a funny interview I saw with Ted Williams. An interviewer asked Ted if he were to play today what he would have hit for a batting average. His answer was some thing like .270. The interviewer said “you think todays pitchers are that good?” His answer - no, but I’m 75 years old.

Jun 8, 2016
This reminds me of a funny interview I saw with Ted Williams. An interviewer asked Ted if he were to play today what he would have hit for a batting average. His answer was some thing like .270. The interviewer said “you think todays pitchers are that good?” His answer - no, but I’m 75 years old.
Yes I remember that quote..not sure what I said reminded you of it though..lol. Do you not see my point? Lets put it this way, do you think Boggs, Gwynn, Carew, etc were such unique talents that nobody in the last 20 years has that same ability to hit for such a high average..or is it the game has changed where nobody is allowed to anymore...I don't know the answer, just asking.

Oct 26, 2019
Yes I remember that quote..not sure what I said reminded you of it though..lol. Do you not see my point? Lets put it this way, do you think Boggs, Gwynn, Carew, etc were such unique talents that nobody in the last 20 years has that same ability to hit for such a high average..or is it the game has changed where nobody is allowed to anymore...I don't know the answer, just asking.
I’m sure someone in the minors would have gotten a hold of him and changed his approach in an attempt to hit more home runs. Although he did hit 21 minor league home runs in essentially a seasons worth of games so he must have had some power at some point. Who knows. It’s an interesting thought exercise. In the same vein I wonder if Babe Ruth showed up to a modern day showcase if they would send him home after running the 60. He hit over .300 career against Nolan Ryan so I’m assuming he could have handled the higher velo of todays game.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m sure someone in the minors would have gotten a hold of him and changed his approach in an attempt to hit more home runs. Although he did hit 21 minor league home runs in essentially a seasons worth of games so he must have had some power at some point. Who knows. It’s an interesting thought exercise.
My guess is, like Boggs, is that if he wanted to hit 20 HR a year, he probably could have.

In the same vein I wonder if Babe Ruth showed up to a modern day showcase if they would send him home after running the 60.
He may have run ok when he was a youngster..plus Sean Casey made it to the big leagues and he ran like he was carrying a piano on his back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I must be missing something. What about this swing style is unique. I don’t see a slapper. I see a shorter/simpler swing designed to make hard contact and not get out. Just cause the dude didn’t hit home runs doesn’t make him a slapper.

This might just be an inside pitch, the tel tale sign is hands getting in front of the lowerbody, in front of the back shoulder.

Me and another guy discussed this 20 years ago, hands out racing the body as the swing is initiated. Compared to hitters that seemed turn as unit during initiation.

Man I was dumb. But still correct. The hands getting ahead of rotation was what we were discussing of a HOF with the highest career average ever!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28