Tony Gwynn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I've listened to many of Tony Gwynn's videos talking hitting over the years. I have to say the thought process of "swinging the knob" feels great when I try it off the tee. Maybe it's word play between "Swing the knob" vs "throwing the head". Now, I don't think he is meaning it as "Knob to the ball". What are your guys thoughts?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I've listened to many of Tony Gwynn's videos talking hitting over the years. I have to say the thought process of "swinging the knob" feels great when I try it off the tee. Maybe it's word play between "Swing the knob" vs "throwing the head". Now, I don't think he is meaning it as "Knob to the ball". What are your guys thoughts?

I think any hands cue is mostly used to combat casting the head early. If you tell a child/newbie to ‘get the barrel to the ball’, you just might get a cast from the top so they can literally get the barrel to the ball. The hands always move forward and or down first to direct the barrel to the ball in good swings.

swinging the knob gives a sensation of a full release of the barrel.. decel of the shoulders, lead arm, hands is what happens.

Oct 2, 2017
I think any hands cue is mostly used to combat casting the head early. If you tell a child/newbie to ‘get the barrel to the ball’, you just might get a cast from the top so they can literally get the barrel to the ball. The hands always move forward and or down first to direct the barrel to the ball in good swings.

swinging the knob gives a sensation of a full release of the barrel.. decel of the shoulders, lead arm, hands is what happens.
The bold above is describes almost exactly what it felt like. It also felt much less forced.

Low effort swing, just trying that feeling of swinging the knob the other day.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
A long time ago, I read TG's book on hitting. I remember taking it as. "pull the knob straight to the ball" But I aslo had read Charlie Lau Jr's book around the same time. It must be this book because I cannot find any other Amazon product ASIN 1886110956
So perhaps one book was coloring how I saw the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28