To catch or not to catch??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Not really - try to get up from that position to retrieve and throw a blocked pitch. Which is one of the reasons NECC teaches feet together.

I have the utmost respect for the Weavers, but this is one area I've never understood. I don't understand how you can get a good donkey kick to the respective side with the feet underneath you. You also have less stability with the feet underneath. It's not what we reinforce in our sessions.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have the utmost respect for the Weavers, but this is one area I've never understood. I don't understand how you can get a good donkey kick to the respective side with the feet underneath you. You also have less stability with the feet underneath. It's not what we reinforce in our sessions.

IMO, the key is that there is no kick as its not needed from the runners on stance, its really not much more than an unweighting. The chest tilts/squares/hands drive down (and, if necessary, laterally), and the body follows with the feet coming together behind to close the 5-hole. Posting the hands in front in tripod fashion enables a quick return to the feet. IME, kicking isn't as effective as it tends to be slower and creates both balance and recovery problems.

Sep 9, 2014
IMO, the key is that there is no kick as its not needed from the runners on stance, its really not much more than an unweighting. The chest tilts/squares/hands drive down (and, if necessary, laterally), and the body follows with the feet coming together behind to close the 5-hole. Posting the hands in front in tripod fashion enables a quick return to the feet. IME, kicking isn't as effective as it tends to be slower and creates both balance and recovery problems.

This is why i love this forum!! I ask about my DD catching or not and now im getting drills to work on!!:D:D

Nov 23, 2014
I can't even begin to express how much this is true. My daughter puts in many, many hours of extra practice.
Without knowing your DD it is hard to tell you for sure. The myth about losing speed is unfounded. Catchers can be just as athletic as any other position on the field. The main thing that you need to know before you move her back behind the plate is if she is going to be willing to work harder than almost everyone else on the team. The only players that have to put in as much time and work as catchers are pitchers. Pitchers put in tons of practice time but get the benefit of the spotlight. Catchers put in the practice time, work hard, sweat in their gear, get beat up, dirty, bruised, banged around, bloodied, and battered. They don't get the glory that other players do. And the ones that love it, that truly love playing the position, would beat you to within an inch of your life if you tried to take their gear from them. The dirt is in their blood.

If your daughter is the toughest kid you know, stubborn as a hard headed mule, and one of the best leaders on every team she plays on then let her try catcher and see if she has the chops.

By the way, you will know which poster's DDs are catchers by their responses. :)

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD catches and is not one of the fastest players on the team anymore. Because we have added more speed to the team, not that she has gotten slow from catching. My DD can still leg out a triple when she gets the opportunity and trust me she stretches those borderline ones every chance she gets lol. Honestly as a parent/coach there is a lot of pride in this game for many reasons, but one of the greatest things to watch is my DD behind the plate during those games where it is all going her way. There's not a better sight then her running off the field with that smile on her face after throwing out a runner before they start their slide or moving up the line to cut down the distance on a play at the plate and applying a swipe tag just before the run scores. It is an art behind the plate, and good art takes a long time to master.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Im looking for some opinions!! My DD 13yr told me yesterday that she wants to learn a new position (catcher). She is the Center fielder in her Rec and travel teama also she is the faster runner in both teams. Im afraid that she losses her speed playing catcher?

Pitchers and catchers are always in demand, so if a player shows a willingness to learn either, I highly recommend spending the time and effort to give it a try.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Definitely let her catch. It is always good to learn another spot. My DD started catching to have another spot to play. As a lefty she is limited so catching opened up another door for her and she loves it. It also did not slow her down at all. I actually think she has improved her speed due to the work she puts in catching.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Interesting story. I was coaching rec. I had one good pitcher, one newbie. Only allowed to pitch 4 innings and sub had to come in. So, we began training two newbies. We had two girls who wanted to try catcher, my DD was one, and another girl. We had new pitcher practice. After the hundredth backstop fetch, one decided that was too much hustle required and never suited up again...I am glad it wasn't my DD. It made her what I think is one of the finest up and coming catchers in the area. And Coach Weaver added the technical piece and got even better.

Apr 1, 2010
Catching is the best position on the field. :)

However, to be honest, there is a greater chance of injury. My DD has had three concussions (all on foul tips to the head) while catching. She's also had various other injuries over the years from collisions on plays at the plate and being hit by bats, wildly bouncing pitches and batted balls, etc. It's an exciting place; things happen back there.

I'd say let her try it if she's willing and interested. Even if she doesn't decide to stay with catching, it will give her more softball experience. She'll learn more about the game and ultimately be a better player at whatever position she plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore