To catch or not to catch??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
Catchers have been some of the fastest players on my kids' teams, up through school ball. Catchers don't necessarily slow down until years of abusing their legs catches up to them.

For MLB, catchers do, invariably it seems, slow down over time. However, it may not be noticeable into their mid or upper 20's which exceeds the career of most softball players. So, at this level and, possibly, even thru college, it may not be an important factor in the decision whether or not to catch in fastpitch softball.

Feb 3, 2011
Speed is something you either have or you don't. The only things that make it go away are injury or being out of shape/overweight.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm fully in support of any kid who wants to try playing catcher. Some fall in love with it instantly. Some realize that it's not for them.

If your DD tries it, and loves it, the BEST thing you can do is to help her learn how to play effectively, efficiently, and - most importantly - safely. One of the very best places to start is the instructional DVD from The New England Catching Camp.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Not sure why you think she will lose any speed from catching. Let her try all the positions the more she knows the better for her in the long run. My niece has played every position on the field during select ball tournaments and the best part is she understand our Defense a lot better and help turned her to a true captain on our team. We high encourage our players o come to us and ask for time at there second and third positions cause once high school and college ball starts you can be moved wherever the coach makes you even if it was not your rec ball/TB position.

Apr 28, 2014
Catchers are a special breed. I did not understand this until DD got deep into pitching. C are the leaders out there. I though it was P... It's not.
Let her do it!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have 2 catchers. In my opinion, the first best characteristic for a catcher is a kid who wants to be back there. The next thing is being willing to work harder than everyone else. I don't think she will lose speed behind the plate, but catcher specific stretches are vital...every day. 1.) W-sitting stretches. Have her on the ground, knees down; in the blocked position. Toes out. Get the butt down as far as it will go. 2.) Calf/Ham stretches: One knee down, the other extended, heel down. Grab the toes on the extended leg. 3.) Preacher stretches: In the squat with feet a little less than shoulder apart. Use elbows at the knees and push the knees outward.

I suggest doing all catcher work with gear on; even running. The gear should be an extension of their body and they need to learn to work in the heat with it, and deal with the additional weight.

Any kid that is excited and willing to do all of that (and much more) should get the opportunity to give it a shot.
I wouldn't recommend W sitting stretches to anyone. Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists all advise against it. This is something I cut and pasted as it explains it better then I can.

Why do therapists recommend against it?

While the knees together and feet out position is fine as a transitional position, our hips are not designed to be in the W-sitting position for a long period of time. Prolonged sitting in this position places significant stress on inner hip muscles and joint structures. The young musculoskeletal system will then develop in such a way that just creates more and more instability of the hips. If a child gets used to sitting and playing in this position, weaknesses and orthopedic misalignments will only travel up and down the musculoskeletal chain. Children who W-sit well into their preschool to school years often experience decreased trunk strength, poor attention, in-toeing, poor posture, clumsy coordination, and frequent loss of balance.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wouldn't recommend W sitting stretches to anyone. Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists all advise against it. This is something I cut and pasted as it explains it better then I can.

While the knees together and feet out position is fine as a transitional position, our hips are not designed to be in the W-sitting position for a long period of time. Prolonged sitting in this position places significant stress on inner hip muscles and joint structures. The young musculoskeletal system will then develop in such a way that just creates more and more instability of the hips. If a child gets used to sitting and playing in this position, weaknesses and orthopedic misalignments will only travel up and down the musculoskeletal chain. Children who W-sit well into their preschool to school years often experience decreased trunk strength, poor attention, in-toeing, poor posture, clumsy coordination, and frequent loss of balance.

Interesting. As a kid, I used to sit that way for extended periods regularly.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri

While I understand the latest recommendation for toddlers, I don't really think it applies to stretching out. Additionally, a catcher is going to end up in this position when blocking anyhow. Seems like slow simulation to this position would be safer than the alternative.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
While I understand the latest recommendation for toddlers, I don't really think it applies to stretching out. Additionally, a catcher is going to end up in this position when blocking anyhow. Seems like slow simulation to this position would be safer than the alternative.

Not really - try to get up from that position to retrieve and throw a blocked pitch. Which is one of the reasons NECC teaches feet together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore