Tips for speeding up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD has been an infielder for most of her sb years. She likes playing OF but on her Travel and for rec she has always been SS. On her HS team she played SS and OF during JV but on Varsity this year, she's primarily OF.
She can catch and has a great arm but it's her speed that is lacking.
Any tips on ways to increase her speed. She can run for days but just isn't super quick.
Thanks!

May 23, 2015
There are things you can do to increase your speed, but only to a certain extent. Genetics plays a huge part in it. Also make sure she's not running on her heel.

This is an excellent thread. He knows his stuff. Unlike the hitting threads no one argued. Read and enjoy it takes work

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Awesome - thanks!

Yea I think she is built more for endurance than speed but she used to be pretty quick when she was younger - she's gotten a lot taller as she's grown so I'm not sure if she knows how to handle the extra height ;)

May 23, 2015
Awesome - thanks!

Yea I think she is built more for endurance than speed but she used to be pretty quick when she was younger - she's gotten a lot taller as she's grown so I'm not sure if she knows how to handle the extra height ;)
That happens to boys and girls all the time. The little short one is always so fast growing up until the taller kids figure it out. Then is reverses

I like endurance runner I called myself a momentum runner.

In the thread I posted note no jogging. Jogging will produce slow twitch endurance muscles. Sprinters and ball athletes need burst speed from fast twitch. Another big help is using plyoboxes or anything you can safely jump off of and the immediately rebound into a jump once you land

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Some jogging is necessary for warmup and basic cardiovascular fitness, but I agree that it certainly won't make anyone faster. Anything more than a mile or two is a waste of time. Exercises that build leg explosiveness are fine for getting up to speed. Like pretty much anything else, the way to get faster is to practice doing it. Ultimately, sprints of different lengths including changes in direction and an emphasis on good form are what will ultimately makes someone faster from A to B.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Are you looking for increased running speed or increased quickness, reaction, agility, etc.? You don't have to run fast to be a good defender.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802