Time to say good bye

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm sorry but I'm crying as I write this. I'm soooo sorry for your loss and it feels as if it was one of my own! I can't appropriately express my feelings further because if I did, I'd become a blubbering idiot.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2016
Mn
I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. My heart breaks for you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Thank you Amy and Everyone, whether you know what to say or not, I certainly don't except to say thank you for all your support which really does make a difference .

Meghan Burnett Obituary - Wakefield, Massachusetts - McDonald Funeral Home

you have been like an extended family to me (and indirectly, both DDs) so this was the first place I went when I didn't know what to do.

earlier this year DD and I were talking about her softball future and that I was thinking about coaching again. she totally encouraged me to get back into it. she has since told me many times that I was one of the best coaches, that I know more than everyone else around here and that the players always loved playing for me. so i will join many of her friends who have have posted on facebook- "I play for you now".

I hope you do coach again Bob. The compassion, insight, and perspective you will give daughters and their parents will be unmatched.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We had a massive turnout for the wake and a beautiful funeral (if there is such a thing). two of her coaches did eulogies and the HS music director led some of her band friends in the most amazing (instrumental) rendition of amazing grace any of us had ever heard. Thank you all for your help and support during this most difficult time.
If your daughter needs to have surgery to correct T.O.S., make sure there is a cardiac/thoracic surgeon in the room.

Nov 29, 2009
If your daughter needs to have surgery to correct T.O.S., make sure there is a cardiac/thoracic surgeon in the room.

Can you share what went wrong with the surgery that would take a beautiful and healthy young woman's life? Not trying to be nosy or morbid here. Just hoping the tragedy can be possibly averted in the future for someone else contemplating the procedure. No one should go through the horrible experience your family has suffered. If you don't it's understandable.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Sure- part of the reason I was posting about this is to hopefully help others.
I don't know what the future holds for us, so i will avoid too much detail, speculation and emotion.
the procedure which was performed successfully on her right side (in february) involves removing the first rib to create space between the ribs and clavicle, allowing the subclavian artery, a vein and a nerve bundle to pass thru unrestricted.
1) we weren't there, so we'll never know exactly what happened or why.
2) when removing the rib, the subclavian artery was torn, and even though we were assured otherwise, it appears they either could never get it repaired or they couldn't get it done before she lost too much blood. our doctor was THE guy for this type of surgery, but he's an orthopedic surgeon and apparently when things went south, there was some wait for a thoracic surgeon who could fix it.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I am so sorry for your loss....I cannot even imagine the pain you are feeling. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
As someone who has sat in the waiting room during a major surgery for DD, I can not imagine. Sitting here at work with tears falling from my eyes. Thoughts, prayers and condolences from Illinois. Honestly at a loss for more to say than that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478