Time of possession....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Ball hit to left side, 3B throws to first. Throw beats runner, but takes 1B's mitt over the foul line, an her extended arm directly into BR path. Bang-bang play, but BR hits 1B arm, knocking ball out of mitt (catch, collision happened simultaneously). Umpire rules BR out, saying she completed the put out and then the ball came dislodged. Seems somewhat reasonable, but not sure I completely agree. Is this akin to a runner sliding into a tag and knocking the ball loose (and thereby safe)? Interested in what the thoughts are as to if this is the correct call.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
without seeing it, we can't say for sure. but the ball dropping out of the mitt in a tag play is a safe call. This is the same as sliding into a tag and knocking the ball loose.

Jan 6, 2018
without seeing it, we can't say for sure. but the ball dropping out of the mitt in a tag play is a safe call. This is the same as sliding into a tag and knocking the ball loose.
Not if her foot is on the bag - my assumption per the OP is the force out is complete, then the ball is knocked loose.

Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, without seeing it, there is no way to tell. From the OP "knocking ball out of mitt (catch, collision happened simultaneously)"

There has to be some sort of demonstrated control of the ball.

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, without seeing it, there is no way to tell. From the OP "knocking ball out of mitt (catch, collision happened simultaneously)"

There has to be some sort of demonstrated control of the ball.
I agree -- Of course we can't tell for sure without seeing it, LOL. The umpire called the out, so in their opinion the put out was made before the ball was jarred loose. My point is that it is not like a tag play where the ball can be jarred loose. There are no "ties" at first...the whole simultaneous part of the OP is moot. In the umpire's judgement the put out was made before the ball came loose. In the OP's opinion the ball and runner arrived at the same time, but the umpire doesn't have that luxury - they have to make a judgement. So in my non umpire opinion, the runner is out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28