Tight Spin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I see this phrase used all the time, 'tight spin'. I assume it means high RPM spin, but maybe not. If there is another meaning could someone explain it?
I cannot see any other correct meaning other than RPM unless you include spin axis but I doubt that is part of it.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Spin axis is not going to change or wobble, once the ball is released the gyroscopic effect will keep the axis steady. It's easy to get fooled when you see a ball with a stripe on it that wobbles, it makes it look like the spin axis is changing, what's really happening is that the stripe is not aligned with the spin axis. The video posted in the "Pitching Gurus" thread is an example of this.

Seam orientation is not easy to discern on a spinning ball.

If it is high RPM then you would think there is a better word to use than 'tight', I'm not sure what it would be. It really doesn't matter as long as everyone understands what it means.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
@ArmWhip,
This gives me an idea to demo this.

I use a ball with dots marked between the narrows to show the axis of various pitches. I’m thinking about putting a stripe on the ball that would be off axis when the dots are spun perfectly. Then I could throw a few with a clean stripe with the dots wobbling.

Like this, but with an tilted stripe added across the 4 seams:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
When I use that phrase (whether my old baseball days or in softball) I've always meant high RPM spin that makes it harder to determine which direction the ball is spinning. We also used to use the phrase "dirty spin" in baseball, which meant that the seem orientation was different than normal and there wasn't a "clean" spin direction to pick up.

Jan 6, 2018
Spin axis is not going to change or wobble, once the ball is released the gyroscopic effect will keep the axis steady. It's easy to get fooled when you see a ball with a stripe on it that wobbles, it makes it look like the spin axis is changing, what's really happening is that the stripe is not aligned with the spin axis. The video posted in the "Pitching Gurus" thread is an example of this.

Seam orientation is not easy to discern on a spinning ball.

If it is high RPM then you would think there is a better word to use than 'tight', I'm not sure what it would be. It really doesn't matter as long as everyone understands what it means.
Since my comment seems to be the inspiration, yes, you nailed it. The perceived wobble = not tight, so my definition of tight would be a high RPS with proper seam orientation. If the pitcher is holding the ball correctly she should be able to spin it so the tape doesn't "wobble." The axis may not be 100 % correct, but the spin could still be "tight." That's why the tape help us see what's happening since it's showing the seam orientation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802