Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Not sure what you mean by TE, but there are some decent fielding clips in this thread (link).

While I was looking for the clips, I found this image from Amy in AZ (link). Notice how the girls' shoulders are ahead of her hips. You can see it in the direction of the creases on her shirt (creases are so good for analysis). They clearly indicate that the shoulders are leading and pulling the hips as opposed to hips leading, pulling the shoulders around.

The best thing that we can do for our throwers, hitters, and pitchers is to teach them to resist with the shoulders. Really we want resistance from the whole upper torso and centered around our rear leg, but that's even harder to teach as I've tried and failed with rec teams over the years.

For the individual seeking to throw at a higher level or the involved parent/coach who wants fundamental change, resisting with the upper torso is paramount to acheiving a high level throw.

For the most part, the existing methods for improving throwing speed are just variants of bigger, stronger, faster.

https://twitter.com/Wass_Strength/status/971750253325103105

Austin has some pretty good stuff

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2016
Looks like I'll hitting this thread repeatedly for the next 9 months.

DD has a target in mind looks like she needs 40 to 60 foot increase in her throwing distance.

Trying to cure her bullet spin and get that ball rotation right. Not sure if anyone has measured the bullet vs. backspin difference from maximum throw distance.

At 200 ft. is that 10 feet or ?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2020
I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone can give me some tips on her throwing. She's 12 and throws about 40 MPH, decently slower than her peers. Any tips? I see here chest and head too high and moving up and out instead of forward/down and across. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2017
I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone can give me some tips on her throwing. She's 12 and throws about 40 MPH, decently slower than her peers. Any tips? I see here chest and head too high and moving up and out instead of forward/down and across. Thanks!

Wow, the internet must be mind reading me LOL. I was just reading on throwing and how to generate more velocity and accuracy LOL Then this pops up.

I was reading this.

Nov 26, 2020
Wow, the internet must be mind reading me LOL. I was just reading on throwing and how to generate more velocity and accuracy LOL Then this pops up.

I was reading this.

She did High Level Throwing in person which was awesome but too far to continue. I was totally thinking about finding a local baseball pitching coach.

May 27, 2022

Couple thoughts:
1. She isn't really using her body during the throw (see picts below). As the ball should be accelerating, there isn't much movement in her shoulders and hips and she isn't really pushing off from her rear foot.
2. Her glove hand isn't helping at all. The glove hand should pull the shoulders down as she throws, she is just dropping her glove hand early and then really just throwing with her arm from a set position.

Also, if you want her to throw harder/faster, i would work on long throws. Get as far apart as you can without a rainbow throw and work there. Then, keep backing up. Should probably be able to throw from third to first (or baseline to baseline in a basketball gym).

1659371523284.png1659371531235.png

Jun 8, 2016

Her arm never gets into external rotation

vHxvg40.gif

You can do the Wasserman stuff at home although I can understand if you want somebody in person to instruct.

Jun 8, 2016
Also, if you want her to throw harder/faster, i would work on long throws. Get as far apart as you can without a rainbow throw and work there. Then, keep backing up. Should probably be able to throw from third to first (or baseline to baseline in a basketball gym).
(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28