Throwing mechanics - Evaluation needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2022
Can someone please analyze her throwing mechanics and provide me some feedback. It’s in slow motion.

I feel like she doesn’t throw as hard as she should. She’s been working out so the power is there, wondering if it’s the mechanics.

Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
Make sure that when her left foot hits the ground the ball is hitting her glove.

She catches this ball this ball a half step slow and everything that follows is off/too slow. Probably not a big deal most of the time but against speed, it will make a difference. Going to have to practice this....

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I agree with what Gunner said. In addition, this is what I see. After she fields the grounder she comes up with her entire body too much, her feet come off the ground too much when she is pivoting her feet to make the throw, especially her front foot. On this specific grounder ( ground ball to her right) she should be throwing from more of a sidearm slot, it looks like she is still throwing entirely over the top to me, instead of from a 3/4 arm slot.

Jan 22, 2011
Austin Wasserman has a lot of good material. I am taking his class on teaching his stuff. I have not gone entirely through the e-book you get when you pay ~$70 for his weighted balls, but will in the next couple days to see how much of the class stuff it includes. Not sure if it is still going on, but last week there was a sale where you get the e-book and weighted balls for $51. I highly recommend spending money on it.

The rec league I helped run for 10 years (been out of it since 2017) has put together a practice plan that recommends using Austin's stuff to teach throwing starting in 6u. I am very impressed. Even though they basically lost most of two years of skill development due to being in one of, if not the most, restrictive county in the USA due to Covid, in the 8 10u and 12u games I umpired this year, I did not see any throwing mechanics that caused me to vince in pain.

All ages were given a link to this page on Austin's website.

Jun 5, 2022
I agree with what Gunner said. In addition, this is what I see. After she fields the grounder she comes up with her entire body too much, her feet come off the ground too much when she is pivoting her feet to make the throw, especially her front foot. On this specific grounder ( ground ball to her right) she should be throwing from more of a sidearm slot, it looks like she is still throwing entirely over the top to me, instead of from a 3/4 arm slot.

Yes!!! She’s still throwing over the top. Need to get her to throw of the sidearm but do not know any drills for her to practice it. Any ideas?

By the way, you guys are so helpful in here!

Sep 29, 2014
I wouldn't make
Yes!!! She’s still throwing over the top. Need to get her to throw of the sidearm but do not know any drills for her to practice it. Any ideas?

By the way, you guys are so helpful in here!

I wouldn't force her to throw sidearm usually a 3/4 slot works just fine just fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802