Throwing issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
MLB shortstops, the best in the world, do a “mishmash of crap”. Haha. Thanks for the laugh.

I should have said "styles" but my point still stands. If you have a major league-caliber shortstop on your fastpitch team they can do whatever they want with their footwork.

For the rest of us, I would not teach the above footwork to any fastpitch player. For other reasons, I and others have stated. It's a different game in that regard.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I don't think so. I think @Bonesaw 's post (#22) is a good description of what she is doing (along with @Rolling Hard 's comment about the elbow getting too low) which is probably caused by a number of things (lack of resistance being one of them). We didn't do the water bottle drill so I will have her start doing that along with the other stuff we are doing.
Interesting how things pop up out of nowhere when a group starts talking about something.

May 17, 2012
I fail to see what’s wrong with any of that?

"Some crossover, some cross behind, some heel click, and sadly some double heel click. With the smaller ball, longer base baths, and stronger arms they do a mishmash of styles (shuffle steps anyone?)."

Isn't baseball fielding the same last fastpich? No. Can you provide an example? Sure.

A fastpitch SS will not be able to get a lefty slapper out taking shuffle steps to a backhand and throw the runner out (like they do in baseball). It simply is not going to happen.

The bases are closer, the slappers are everywhere, and you absolutely have to be efficient in your IF footwork in fastpitch.

Oct 26, 2019
"Some crossover, some cross behind, some heel click, and sadly some double heel click. With the smaller ball, longer base baths, and stronger arms they do a mishmash of styles (shuffle steps anyone?)."

Isn't baseball fielding the same last fastpich? No. Can you provide an example? Sure.

A fastpitch SS will not be able to get a lefty slapper out taking shuffle steps to a backhand and throw the runner out (like they do in baseball). It simply is not going to happen.

The bases are closer, the slappers are everywhere, and you absolutely have to be efficient in your IF footwork in fastpitch.
I won’t argue that fastpitch infielders have less time. That doesn’t mean that MLB guys are inefficient or poor mechanically. They are fielding in rhythm and throwing in rhythm. That rhythm is established by a different internal clock than in fastpitch. However, there are great examples of fielding and throwing in that clip you posted above that are ideal for fastpitch also.

Oct 26, 2019
And this is best practice. If you get the inside/middle of your left foot pointed at the target (after you crossover) your throws will always be online and with velocity. The heel click might be quicker but it's less velocity and prone to throwing errors. Ironically you do want your 2B to heel click and not a crossover.

MLB fielders have some of sketchy footwork as they are super talented and can overcome a lot of poor mechanics. Some crossover, some cross behind, some heel click, and sadly some double heel click. With the smaller ball, longer base baths, and stronger arms they do a mishmash of crap (shuffle steps anyone?).
I think this is where I might be confused can you show me an example of a crossover? I guess I’m confused on what you mean by that. I teach to field the ball, funnel to midsection, right foot goes under you, and left foot to target - all while flowing through the ball.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Start with her grip. It appears she has the ball pretty deep into her palm. Get the ball more into her fingers... Thumb and pinky underneath, not on sides.

1650994627201.png1650995492094.png

Something else that seems odd... The ball is facing backwards at this point, after the throwing arm is already at 90 degrees. The glove hand has already fallen off target as well. This probably feels "powerful" to her, as there is a lot of tension (hell, it hurts me just to try and hold the ball in this position...), but I think this is wasting energy early, before the ball actually start moving forward.

1650996112289.png

She does get the ball around, but I would like to see ball closer to her ear here. Glove is completely off target, almost at her side, again before the ball has really even started moving forward.

1650996379494.png

I would work on the following.
1. Grip
2. Glove on target longer.

My $ .02

Jun 8, 2016
Start with her grip. It appears she has the ball pretty deep into her palm. Get the ball more into her fingers... Thumb and pinky underneath, not on sides.

View attachment 25414View attachment 25415

Something else that seems odd... The ball is facing backwards at this point, after the throwing arm is already at 90 degrees. The glove hand has already fallen off target as well. This probably feels "powerful" to her, as there is a lot of tension (hell, it hurts me just to try and hold the ball in this position...), but I think this is wasting energy early, before the ball actually start moving forward.

View attachment 25417

She does get the ball around, but I would like to see ball closer to her ear here. Glove is completely off target, almost at her side, again before the ball has really even started moving forward.

View attachment 25418

I would work on the following.
1. Grip
2. Glove on target longer.

My $ .02
Never noticed the grip, thanks. Almost like she is throwing a CU. Wonder if this has something to do with her throwing an 11" ball since she was 7 YO (vs a baseball like young boys).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee